Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Zip Codes

Hi. I understand how to allow o first digit zip codes, but I am importing
from my web site and I need to set up the 0#### condition "globally" for
Excel. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you Barb! But I still cannot get Excel to hold that change. When i make
the change, say to 00000, as you suggest, then I am asked to save the change.
When I do, it is just saved for that one file. I need to have Excel, whenever
called to open a csv file to then have the "text" or Custom "00000" be a part
of the default.

Is this possible?

Bill

"Bill" wrote:

Hi. I understand how to allow o first digit zip codes, but I am importing
from my web site and I need to set up the 0#### condition "globally" for
Excel. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Change the default Excel New workbook.

Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish.

FileSave As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select. Name
your workbook "BOOK"(no quotes). Excel will add the .XLT to save as
BOOK.XLT.

Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

This will be the default workbook for FileNew or the Toolbar button
FileNew or CTRL + n

WARNING................Do not use FileNew...Blank Workbook or you will get
the Excel default workbook.

NOTE: Existing workbooks are not affected by these settings.

You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet. Customize as
you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also. It now becomes
the default InsertSheet.

More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"Bill" wrote:

Hi. I understand how to allow o first digit zip codes, but I am importing
from my web site and I need to set up the 0#### condition "globally" for
Excel. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Bill wrote:
Hi. I understand how to allow o first digit zip codes, but I am importing
from my web site and I need to set up the 0#### condition "globally" for
Excel. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!

I not sure about importing from a website but when I import from other
sources and wish to keep leading 0's I just mark that column to be
imported as text. As long as your not doing any calculations on the
cells it shouldn't cause any problems.

gls858

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Gord. Thank you for the information. I am still having a problem though.
When I made the changes you suggested, I received an error message and after
I went to the xlsrart folder, the saved file was gone and just appeared on
the outside of the folder in general Excel. Could the problem be that when my
shopping cart points to Excel to pull up the csv file, it must just grab it
from ??? I have spoken to my cart programmer and he states tht the program
justs points to Excel.

Thanks,

Bill

"Bill" wrote:

Hi. I understand how to allow o first digit zip codes, but I am importing
from my web site and I need to set up the 0#### condition "globally" for
Excel. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I misled you................maybe

When directly opening a *.csv file, Excel will not use the BOOK.XLT stored
in the xlstart folder.

You used the term "importing" so I thought you were doing a DataImport
External DataImport Data

If you open a new workbook based upon the BOOK.XLT in xlstart folder then
DataImport from the website your custom format should stick.

You must have Excel open and a new workbook open before doing the import.

Gord