Default Bar Codes

I work at a help desk in a university setting. Teachers are using Excel more
and more to create grade books. SOme of them need to format parts of their
data into a bar code (items like an ID number). How can I do this?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

James W.

Download a bar code font, I always use 3 of 9
....http://www.barcodesinc.com/free-barcode-font/

On your worksheet format the cell to this barcode font. For it to work
properly you must include "*" at the start and end of your data. Start and
stop data points. For example in cell A2 enter = "*" & B2 & "*" or you could
always use a custom format to include the *.

Hope that helps
James

" wrote:

I work at a help desk in a university setting. Teachers are using Excel more
and more to create grade books. SOme of them need to format parts of their
data into a bar code (items like an ID number). How can I do this?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

FSt1

hi,
excel comes with a barcode font built in. 3 of 9 barcode sometimes called 39
barcode.
Formatcellsfont tab
scroll to the top of the font list.
if it is not there, you may have an installation problem.
See my post to 3 of 9 inquery under excel setup posted 8/26/05 entitled "3
of 9" font type. he insisted that he did not have 39 barcode but as it turned
out, he had an installation problem. once he reinstalled, he had the font.
but I also post a web site where 39 barcode could be downloaded.

Regards
FSt1

" wrote:

I work at a help desk in a university setting. Teachers are using Excel more
and more to create grade books. SOme of them need to format parts of their
data into a bar code (items like an ID number). How can I do this?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

David McRitchie

You can get "Free 3 of 9" bar code [Free] at Matthew Welch's site
http://www.squaregear.net/fonts/free3of9.shtml

Additional links to barcode information notably to Russ Adam's http://www.barcode-1.net/
--
---
HTH,

" wrote in message
I work at a help desk in a university setting. Teachers are using Excel more
and more to create grade books. SOme of them need to format parts of their
data into a bar code (items like an ID number). How can I do this?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

David McRitchie

(left out last line)