Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default conditional formatting in Excel 2007 - help, please!

I have a large spreadsheet, with the active data area being cells a4:x8659.
In the A column, I have a formula that evaluates to 1 or 0, depending on
whether the room number in column E has changed from the previous row.

What I *want* to have happen is this:
1) If the value of the cell in the A column for a particular row is 1, set
the color of the cells in that particular row to color #1 (in this case, a
nice pastel yellow);
2) If the value of the cell in the A column for a particular row is 0, set
the color of the cells in that particular row to white.

Have tried to follow the instructions in the Help section, but am not
getting the results I want - yet.

The range of cells to be checked and colored *is* large. Is this a factor in
getting the CF to work?

If I've understood the Help File correctly, this conditional formatting can
be over-ridden by separately and manually-applied cell formatting. Am I
correct on this?

Any help will be appreciated - greatly!

Barbara
--
***************************
Bookaholics of the World, Unite!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You should be able to do the following

=INDIRECT("A"&ROW())=1

=INDIRECT("A"&ROW())=0

Enter those formulas into conditional formatting and apply the formatting
you want to each. (Yellow and white is what you want).

This formatting will need to be applied to all cells in your worksheet you
want colored.

"Barbara" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

2) If the value of the cell in the A column for a particular row is 0,
set the color of the cells in that particular row to white.

If you're using the default fill color which is "no fill color" then the
cells already have a white fill color.

Select the range A4: X8659
Goto Home tabStylesConditional FormattingManage Rules
Click New Rule
Select Use a formula to determine.....
Enter this formula in the little box:: =$A1=1
Click the format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Barbara" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Ooops, typo!

Select the range A4: X8659
Enter this formula in the little box:: =$A1=1

The correct formula should be: =$A4=1

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP