Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
KRK KRK is offline

Default Conditional formatting

Hello

I want to set the 'fill' colour of a cell according to the data in that
cell, so if the cell contains 1 it is filled red, 2 is blue, etc etc. No
problem, I can do this with conditional formatting - format the cell's fill
colour.

I then want to make the underlying data itself invisible. No problem, I use
conditional formatting to make the data font colour the same as the fill
colour.

But what if I want to add a gradient or pattern to the cell's fill colour ?

I cannot find how to make the cell data invisible when I use a pattern or
gradient for the cells 'fill' colour ?

Am I missing something simple ?

Thanks as always

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Folks,

Actually you can, but you need to be using 2007:

In 2007 when you choose Format in the conditional formatting area the dialog
box includes a new tab - Number. On that tab select Custom, on the Type line
enter the code ;;; (three semi-colons)

You can use this same format in 2003 or earlier but you have to apply it
manually, meaning you can't apply it via Conditional Formatting. In 2003
select the cells where you want to hide the contents but show the pattern and
choose Format, Cells, Number tab, Custom, and on the Type line enter ;;;

This will hide the contents of the cells regardless of the pattern or fill
color. Note the items are still visible on the Formula bar, although you can
hide them there also using an entirely different approach - protection.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire