Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Whisker Plots?

I am currently attempting to make a graph showing suitable habitat for
grouse. I believe the Whisker plot or Vertical Box is what i need. I have
data from 60 different sampling sites and within each site there are 3
different types of plants that we have data for. Each of those plants have a
percent cover that they occupy and the grouse have a specific amount of cover
they require. So I need to display the transect, the actual cover data
measured there and the optimum cover needed by the grouse. Any suggestions.
--
Learning
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Learning,

Take a look at Jon Peltier's site here,
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BoxWhisker.html

HTH
Martin

"KGonzo469" wrote in message
I am currently attempting to make a graph showing suitable habitat for
grouse. I believe the Whisker plot or Vertical Box is what i need. I have
data from 60 different sampling sites and within each site there are 3
different types of plants that we have data for. Each of those plants have
percent cover that they occupy and the grouse have a specific amount of
cover
they require. So I need to display the transect, the actual cover data
measured there and the optimum cover needed by the grouse. Any
suggestions.
--
Learning

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I have looked at the site and my data isnt necessarily "statistical". I
attempted to use his process but was unable to produce a graph that presented
my data properly. Thanks though. Any other ideas?
--
Learning

"KGonzo469" wrote in message
I am currently attempting to make a graph showing suitable habitat for
grouse. I believe the Whisker plot or Vertical Box is what i need. I have
data from 60 different sampling sites and within each site there are 3
different types of plants that we have data for. Each of those plants have
percent cover that they occupy and the grouse have a specific amount of
cover
they require. So I need to display the transect, the actual cover data
measured there and the optimum cover needed by the grouse. Any
suggestions.
--
Learning

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Look at these samples to see if they are close to what you want
http://www.edferrero.com/content/Sca...ox_Whisker.xls
http://www.edferrero.com/content/Scatter_BoxPlots.xls

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com

"KGonzo469" wrote in message
I am currently attempting to make a graph showing suitable habitat for
grouse. I believe the Whisker plot or Vertical Box is what i need. I
have
data from 60 different sampling sites and within each site there are 3
different types of plants that we have data for. Each of those plants
have
percent cover that they occupy and the grouse have a specific amount of
cover
they require. So I need to display the transect, the actual cover data
measured there and the optimum cover needed by the grouse. Any
suggestions.
--
Learning

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Maybe an XY scatter will show it better. I'm assuming your data is set up
something like this.

HEADERS
A1 Site # (I'm just calling them 1 to 60)
B1 Plant 1 % cover
C1 Plant 2 % cover
D1 Plant 3 % cover
E1 % cover required ( I assume this is a constant)

DATA
Data is a table of numbers starting at A2 and filled down to E61

Now select from A2 to E61
Go to insert chart
Select XYscatter
Pick the one with lines and markers
Click Finish

That should leave a chart with 4 series plotted
The cover required will show up as a horizontal line
The other three series will show above or below the line.

Of course it will need a fair bit of tidying up.
Is that something along the right lines or am
I way off the mark here?

HTH
Martin