Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How to clean one book using data from another?

Hello, I'm an intern and a relative new user of Excel. I've used it before,
but only for simple sorting.

Here's my problem:

I am using Excel '03 to sort e-mail address lists. I have two separate
files, one with names, email addresses, and postal addresses, and a "cleaned"
list with all non-working e-mail addresses removed.

What I want to know is, is there any way to use the second list to clean the
first list of all the people whose e-mail addresses no longer work, without
manually searching through them one row at a time? I have nearly 10,000 names
on one and over 7,000 on the other.

Thank you for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you are sure that, in each dataset, a specific person is named in exactly
the same way, we could make up a VLOOKUP solution.
Alternatively, do the two list have phone numbers that could be used to
identify the same person?
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"AFSA Ad Intern" .(nospam) wrote in message
Hello, I'm an intern and a relative new user of Excel. I've used it
before,
but only for simple sorting.

Here's my problem:

I am using Excel '03 to sort e-mail address lists. I have two separate
files, one with names, email addresses, and postal addresses, and a
"cleaned"
list with all non-working e-mail addresses removed.

What I want to know is, is there any way to use the second list to clean
the
first list of all the people whose e-mail addresses no longer work,
without
manually searching through them one row at a time? I have nearly 10,000
names
on one and over 7,000 on the other.

Thank you for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks for your respose, that sounds like it could be helpful. I am sure they
are named the same way. What is a VLOOKUP solution and how do I use it? I
don't really understand the explanation in the help file.

Thanks again.

Joseph F. Malefatto
Advertising Associate
Foreign Service Journal

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

In your 'unclean' workbook, you could make another column which contains a
VLOOKUP formula, looking for the address in unclean workbook to check if its
in the clean workbook. If it is, have it return the correct email. If not,
set it up to return a blank or error message. Then you could just sort to
find all the blanks/errors and remove them.

Hope this help. VLOOKUP is similar to LOOKUP (but not the same) if your
still having trouble how it works.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Maybe time to get an Excel book it you plan to use the application
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme