Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Date suddenly changed

Hi all.

This one is driving me insane. I have a spreadsheet (MS Excel 2003) with a
range of dates in column A.

While I was working on another area of the spreadsheet, the date in the
cells in column A suddenly changed to 5-digit numericals.
No matter how I try, I can't get the numerical back to date.

Anybody out there have any ideas?

Bjoern

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Select the cells in question, then click Format,Cells, Number and then
select Date.

Dave

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10355849.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You don't say what you've tried so:-

Simply try and format as a date
no good?

Put 1 in a cell and copy it and then select a few of your dates and
Edit|Paste special Select multiply and click OK
Try again to format as a date

Mike

"Bjoern" wrote:

Hi all.

This one is driving me insane. I have a spreadsheet (MS Excel 2003) with a
range of dates in column A.

While I was working on another area of the spreadsheet, the date in the
cells in column A suddenly changed to 5-digit numericals.
No matter how I try, I can't get the numerical back to date.

Anybody out there have any ideas?

Bjoern

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dave, thanks for your reply, I did exactly what you suggested, but it does
not work.

eg: Content of the cell is 39419, and in the formula box it has the date as
12/3/2007. The cell refuses to display the date!

Bjoern

"Dave Curtis" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

Select the cells in question, then click Format,Cells, Number and then
select Date.

Dave

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10355849.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Ok, I've found the problem! Somehow, I managed to fat-finger some keys, and
in doing so, the formulas were relevealed
as one would do with a 'Ctrl + ~' combination.

Thanks for your reply,