Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Hyperlink Picklist

Hi

I run Excel 2000

I have a list of names with each one of them having a hyperlink to an email
address.

These all work fine.

What I would like to do is one of two things.

1st Option

Have a drop down list that lets me choose one of the names from the list and
have it retain its hyperlink properties. I tried using data validation but
the names dont retain their hyperlink properties.

2nd Option

Have a formula that is based on an entry to another cell that returns the
name from the list but retains the hyperlink properties.

Example (in cell G1)

=IF(D1="SUPPLIER 1",HYPERLINK(A1))

(I tried this but it dosnt work so it may be that I have the formula wrong)

Can anyone help?

Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi John:

The technique is to use the HYPERLINK() function. Say the list of email
addresses is from Z1 thru Z100. We put the data validation dropdown in A1.
When an address is picked, it will be "cold" (un-clickable). So in A2 enter:

=HYPERLINK("mailto:" & A1,A1)

A2 will be "clickable"

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200788

"John Calder" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I have the same need, Gary( or another excel expert)
but my links are not e-mail addresses,
they are websites.
Q : it is possible to click in the dropdown list , get the website address
and follow that link just like this example for e-mail addresses ?
If yes which formula I can use and how ?
Same example, z1 to z100 and drop down in A1.
THANKS.

--
Socrates said: I only know, I don''''''''t know nothing.
I say : I don''''''''t even know, I don''''''''t

"John Calder" wrote:

Thanks a lots Gary !

"John Calder" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Very similar to email. with a "cold" hyperlink in A1 use:

=HYPERLINK(A1,A1)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200789

"Learning Excel" wrote:

I have the same need, Gary( or another excel expert)
but my links are not e-mail addresses,
they are websites.
Q : it is possible to click in the dropdown list , get the website address
and follow that link just like this example for e-mail addresses ?
If yes which formula I can use and how ?
Same example, z1 to z100 and drop down in A1.
THANKS.

--
Socrates said: I only know, I don''''''''t know nothing.
I say : I don''''''''t even know, I don''''''''t
know nothing.

"John Calder" wrote:

Thanks a lots Gary !