Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default MS Excel Validation picklist

I have an Excel list and for one "field" (column) I want to create a
dropdown picklist. The pick list choices are 1, 2, 1/2. These refer
to clinical trial phases so the items in the list will be designated as
Phase 1, Phase 2 or Phase 1/2 (both phases)

When I create my pick list as 1, 2, 1/2 in the validation menu it
creates a picklist whose choices are 1, 2, and 2-Jan. Preceeding the
picklist values with a single quote will prevent the 1/2 from showing
up in the list as 2-Jan but then when it is chosen in the list the
field shows an type error in that cell.

Can anyone advise me of a work-around?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi there,

If you are keeping this list in an associated table as three options, just
use "1,2,3". When you check against your phases (or use them specifically),
instead use "Phase 1", "Phase 2" and "Phase 1 and 2". This is more specific
and will not be construed as a date to Excel (as it is with the "/" key).

HTH

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an Excel list and for one "field" (column) I want to create a
dropdown picklist. The pick list choices are 1, 2, 1/2. These refer
to clinical trial phases so the items in the list will be designated as
Phase 1, Phase 2 or Phase 1/2 (both phases)

When I create my pick list as 1, 2, 1/2 in the validation menu it
creates a picklist whose choices are 1, 2, and 2-Jan. Preceeding the
picklist values with a single quote will prevent the 1/2 from showing
up in the list as 2-Jan but then when it is chosen in the list the
field shows an type error in that cell.

Can anyone advise me of a work-around?

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I have an Excel list and for one "field" (column) I want to create a
dropdown picklist. The pick list choices are 1, 2, 1/2. These refer
to clinical trial phases so the items in the list will be designated as
Phase 1, Phase 2 or Phase 1/2 (both phases)

When I create my pick list as 1, 2, 1/2 in the validation menu it
creates a picklist whose choices are 1, 2, and 2-Jan. Preceeding the
picklist values with a single quote will prevent the 1/2 from showing
up in the list as 2-Jan but then when it is chosen in the list the
field shows an type error in that cell.

Can anyone advise me of a work-around?
where you have the 1/2 in your list enter it as .5 Then format the cell as a fraction then it will show up in your drop down list as a fraction. # ?/? is how it looks to choose the fraction format from the cell format drop down.