Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
dk dk is offline

Default vlookup sound alike

Can we make a vlookup when lastname may have slightly differnt spelling in
middle characters?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Excel doesn't do fuzzy logic very well.

Could you use a wildcard or two?

=VLOOKUP("jo*n*",A1:B10,2,FALSE)

Will find johnson, johnston, johnstone, jones, jobergen

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 1 May 2008 16:00:24 -0700, dk wrote:

Can we make a vlookup when lastname may have slightly differnt spelling in
middle characters?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi dk'
If you have the fourth argument of your VLOOKUP set to FALSE or 0 (zero),
then spelling variations will return a #N/A.
If you set the 4th argument to TRUE or 1, or omit it altogether, then
VLOOKUP will return something from your lookup column when there is a
miss-spelling, but you can't guarantee it'll be the name you want. Also, to
have any chance of returning the right name, the lastname column needs to be
sorted alphabetically when using the TRUE argument.
Regards - Dave.

"dk" wrote:

Can we make a vlookup when lastname may have slightly differnt spelling in
middle characters?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
dk dk is offline

is there anyway to do it only by all first letters & last letters but
without having to go thru the whole ABC?

"dk" wrote:

Can we make a vlookup when lastname may have slightly differnt spelling in
middle characters?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

Just modify what Gord gave you
=VLOOKUP("j*n*",A1:B10,2,FALSE)

This will find anything starting with "j" and ending with "n"

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"dk" wrote:

Can we make a vlookup when lastname may have slightly differnt spelling
in
middle characters?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

A sound bet, Dave.