Maggie

Default using formula to compare two text lists that are not alike and ma.

I have two text fields that i would like to make equal to each other and any
time I type this word I would like it to be able to return a number
associated with the text field. Bellsouth=Telephone (result) code 85000
JulieD

Hi

i think you're after the VLOOKUP function, check it out in help and post
back if you need assistance implementing it.

--
Cheers
JulieD
"Maggie" <Maggie @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I have two text fields that i would like to make equal to each other and
any
time I type this word I would like it to be able to return a number
associated with the text field. Bellsouth=Telephone (result) code 85000

Maggie

Hello JulieD,
I have used VLOOKUP before however, I am unfamilliar with this aspect of it.
I am new to this so I am really looking for the answer. Once I have it I can
build off of it. Where is the help and post function?

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi

i think you're after the VLOOKUP function, check it out in help and post
back if you need assistance implementing it.

--
Cheers
JulieD
....well i'm working on it anyway
"Maggie" <Maggie @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I have two text fields that i would like to make equal to each other and
any
time I type this word I would like it to be able to return a number
associated with the text field. Bellsouth=Telephone (result) code 85000

JulieD

Hi Maggie

by HELP i meant the help in Excel - depending on your version either type
VLOOKUP into the paperclip office assistant or the "ask a question box" top
right of the screen and press enter.

by POST i meant send us another message after you've checked out help to see
if the VLOOKUP is the type of thing you mean or not. If it doesn't seem to
be what you want, maybe try explaining what you're after in another way. -
the thing i'm not sure about is do you want to type
"Bellsouth" and have the cell next to it populate with
"Telephone (result) code 85000"
or do you want to type
Bellsouth
and have the cell you typed it into change to

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi

i think you're after the VLOOKUP function, check it out in help and post
back if you need assistance implementing it.

--
Cheers
JulieD
....well i'm working on it anyway
"Maggie" <Maggie @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I have two text fields that i would like to make equal to each other and
any
time I type this word I would like it to be able to return a number
associated with the text field. Bellsouth=Telephone (result) code 85000

Maggie

I have to pay bills using a Chart of account codes (sheet 2 of the
spreadsheet) and sheet one is the bill paying log sheet. Column B is where I
type in the actuall Company I am paying (bellsouth) on Column C is the
"account code" I have to post against. On Sheet 2 there are codes and
descriptions for each code. When I type in Bellsouth on sheet 1 in column B I
would like it to refer to sheet two and match it to telephone which has a
code assigned to it of 85000 and would like it to fill Column C with that
number.

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi

i think you're after the VLOOKUP function, check it out in help and post
back if you need assistance implementing it.

--
Cheers
JulieD
....well i'm working on it anyway
"Maggie" <Maggie @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I have two text fields that i would like to make equal to each other and
any
time I type this word I would like it to be able to return a number
associated with the text field. Bellsouth=Telephone (result) code 85000

JulieD

you can use VLOOKUP if on Sheet 2 you have
.......A...............B...................C
1....Company....Cateogry......Code
2.....Bellsouth....Telephone.....85000

then on sheet 1 cell C2 the formula would be
=VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet2!$A$2:$C$1000,3,0)
which says, look at the value in B2, find it in column A of sheet2 and
return the associated information from the third column of the table, ie
column C, where there is an exact match.

(you need to tell Excel somehow that Bellsouth should be matched to
telephone)

--
Cheers
JulieD

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi

i think you're after the VLOOKUP function, check it out in help and
post
back if you need assistance implementing it.

--
Cheers
JulieD
....well i'm working on it anyway
"Maggie" <Maggie @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I have two text fields that i would like to make equal to each other
and
any
time I type this word I would like it to be able to return a number
associated with the text field. Bellsouth=Telephone (result) code
85000

Maggie

Sheet two only has Telephone, 85000. Is there a way to write this formula
making bellsouth on sheet one equal to telephone and then have it supply the
85000 code associated with telephone? I am sorry to be such a pain.

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi

i think you're after the VLOOKUP function, check it out in help and
post
back if you need assistance implementing it.

--
Cheers
JulieD
....well i'm working on it anyway
"Maggie" <Maggie @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I have two text fields that i would like to make equal to each other
and
any
time I type this word I would like it to be able to return a number
associated with the text field. Bellsouth=Telephone (result) code
85000

JulieD

Hi Maggie

not really,

the only ways to do (as i see the problem) it is either on sheet 1 to have a
list of all categories and then you type bellsouth in, choose telephone from
the categories and the code gets entered via the vlookup function

OR
you have another sheet with all your companies listed in column A and the
associated category in B and then do a double vlookup - looking first to
find the category in this new sheet and then using this to find the code in
the existing sheet 2

are either of these possible solutions for you?

--
Cheers
JulieD