Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
liu liu is offline

Default find the beginning and end days of a project

I have a project log that has project names, dates it was worked on,
hours projects are worked on.
eg.
3/1/2008,project a,task 1,2 hours
3/1/2008,project b,task 2,3 hours
4/7/2008,project a,task 1,3 hours

I'd like to find the dates project a is worked on so to put the
beginning and ending of project a. If it's not possible, it would be
nice to show only project a and hide all others so I can find the info
visually.

Thanks for any advice.

liu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Try these...

Dates in column A
Project name in column B

Earliest date for project A (start of project):

=INDEX(A1:A100,MATCH("project A",B1:B100,0))

Latest date for project A (end of project A) array formula** :

=MAX(IF(B1:B100="project A",A1:A100))

Format as DATE

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"liu" wrote in message
I have a project log that has project names, dates it was worked on,
hours projects are worked on.
eg.
3/1/2008,project a,task 1,2 hours
3/1/2008,project b,task 2,3 hours
4/7/2008,project a,task 1,3 hours

I'd like to find the dates project a is worked on so to put the
beginning and ending of project a. If it's not possible, it would be
nice to show only project a and hide all others so I can find the info
visually.

Thanks for any advice.

liu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
liu liu is offline

Thanks for the help, Biff.
The first part (start date) works, but second one I got #VALUE!
error.

liu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
liu liu is offline

On Apr 8, 7:11*pm, Dave Peterson wrote:
Don't forget to use ctrl-shift-enter like Biff explained!

This great. Thanks for the hint. The only drawback is that I can't
copy and paste to multiple cells like other calculations.

liu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
liu liu is offline

This great. Thanks for the hint. The only drawback is that I can't
copy and paste to multiple cells like other calculations.

sorry, copy and paste works. I manually entered some data before
reading the answers. The text didn't change after I pasted the
calculation so I thought it wasn't pasted over. With closer look at
each cell, I found they were replaced witht the formula. No control-
shift-enter needed.

Thanks for the helpful newsgroup!!