Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Returning a cell value in a database

I am creating a home building estimate program in excel and want to return
the value in a certain cell by giving row and column referances. I created
lists with headers to referance the rows and col. I named the database to
referance it. Everything I try to do to referance the database returns an
error. I have tried the Index function (array style) to retreive the data. I
suspected that the row and col names have something to do with the problem so
I tried formatting their cells as text only and that didn't help.

This the database file: http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3efdg
Thanks in Advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Based on your sample file...

To lookup a 2x4 10 ft long:

A10 = 2x4
B1 = 10

=VLOOKUP(A10,A2:O8,MATCH(B10,A2:O2,0),0)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Gulfman100" wrote in message
I am creating a home building estimate program in excel and want to return
the value in a certain cell by giving row and column referances. I created
lists with headers to referance the rows and col. I named the database to
referance it. Everything I try to do to referance the database returns an
error. I have tried the Index function (array style) to retreive the data.
suspected that the row and col names have something to do with the problem
so
I tried formatting their cells as text only and that didn't help.

This the database file: http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3efdg
Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Ooops!

Typo:

To lookup a 2x4 10 ft long:
A10 = 2x4
B1 = 10

Should be:

To lookup a 2x4 10 ft long:
A10 = 2x4
B10 = 10

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Another option to return the intersection value within the table
is to use a normal index/match on top row/leftmost col

Illustrated in new sheet: x in your sample:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3efdj
Index_match top row_left col.xls

In sheet: x,
Assume Size & Length values are selected from DVs / input in P2:Q2 down
In R2:
=IF(COUNTA(P2:Q2)<2,"",INDEX($B$3:$N$7,MATCH(P2,$A $3:$A$7,0),MATCH(Q2,$B$2:$N$2,0)))
Copy down to return results from the table
--
Max
Singapore
"Gulfman100" wrote:
I am creating a home building estimate program in excel and want to return
the value in a certain cell by giving row and column referances. I created
lists with headers to referance the rows and col. I named the database to
referance it. Everything I try to do to referance the database returns an
error. I have tried the Index function (array style) to retreive the data. I
suspected that the row and col names have something to do with the problem so
I tried formatting their cells as text only and that didn't help.

This the database file: http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3efdg
Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

use a normal index/match

Does that mean vlookup/match is abnormal? <g

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Gulfman100" wrote:
I am creating a home building estimate program in excel and want to
return
the value in a certain cell by giving row and column referances. I
created
lists with headers to referance the rows and col. I named the database to
referance it. Everything I try to do to referance the database returns an
error. I have tried the Index function (array style) to retreive the
data. I
suspected that the row and col names have something to do with the
problem so
I tried formatting their cells as text only and that didn't help.

This the database file: http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3efdg
Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

.. use a normal index/match
Think the OP's mention of "array" in his attempt:
... Index function (array style) ..

must have resounded so loudly in my subconscious
that it felt compelled to say "normal" index/match
as-in just press ENTER to confirm the formula

Does that mean vlookup/match is abnormal? <g

Hardly, "extra-ordinary" or "creative" would be better choices