Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I add a 1 to all phone #s(cells) in a column?

I have a 5000+ list of phone #s in an excel sheet. I need to add a 1 to each
of them. The numbers look like this: 9545555555. I wabt to add the 1
prefix without a dash or space. Could someone be so kind as to help this
newbie???
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Pookie954
="1"&A1 This formula will add 1 to the numbers, just type in with the right
reference eg:"A!" and copy down.
Regards
Cimjet
"pookie954" wrote in message
I have a 5000+ list of phone #s in an excel sheet. I need to add a 1 to
each
of them. The numbers look like this: 9545555555. I wabt to add the 1
prefix without a dash or space. Could someone be so kind as to help this
newbie???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

After entering the formula in the first cell, move the cursor towards the
bottom right of the cell until the cursor changes to a thick black cross. At
that point click the left mouse button, and drag the formula down.

BTW, I would use a formula of

=10^LEN(A1)+A1

to preserve it as numeric.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"pookie954" wrote in message
I have a 5000+ list of phone #s in an excel sheet. I need to add a 1 to
each
of them. The numbers look like this: 9545555555. I wabt to add the 1
prefix without a dash or space. Could someone be so kind as to help
this
newbie???

Junior Member

QUOTE: "Thanks Cimjet. Could you elaborate on "copy down?"

After writing the formula, select the cell containing it.
You will see a small square in the bottom right corner of that selected cell. Put the mouse cursor over it, and drag it downwards.

_________________
Excel 2007 tutorial

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Bob,

I'm confused on two counts.

1 Why would you need to preserve phone numbers as numeric?

2 If for whatever reason you do want to preserve them as numeric
why use a function call instead of just =("1"&A1)*1 ?

Not trying to be a smarty, just intrigued.
Martin

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
After entering the formula in the first cell, move the cursor towards the
bottom right of the cell until the cursor changes to a thick black cross.
At that point click the left mouse button, and drag the formula down.

BTW, I would use a formula of

=10^LEN(A1)+A1

to preserve it as numeric.

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"pookie954" wrote in message
I have a 5000+ list of phone #s in an excel sheet. I need to add a 1
each
of them. The numbers look like this: 9545555555. I wabt to add the
1
prefix without a dash or space. Could someone be so kind as to help
this
newbie???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you both ( Bob & Martin ) for the information. I never realized I was
changing the format.
I learn something everyday on these newsgroups and loving it.
Maybe one day will be has good as you guys.
Regards
Cimjet

"pookie954" wrote in message
I have a 5000+ list of phone #s in an excel sheet. I need to add a 1
each
of them. The numbers look like this: 9545555555. I wabt to add the
1
prefix without a dash or space. Could someone be so kind as to help
this
newbie???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you. This worked perfectly! Problem solved.

'Excel 2007 tutorial' (http://www.microsoft-office-excel.com)

--
jackgopher