Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Drag and Drop Rows (not just cells)

Hi. Is it possible to move a row or rows to other places using drag and drop?

Right now I insert a new (empty) row in the place or places I want to paste,
then I copy the row or rows I want to move, paste it or them in the empty
rows and then go back and delete the rows that have just been copied.

This is quite tedious, indeed. Is there a faster way to move rows, aside
from creating a macro, which I am unable to do? If it is possible, please
explain how to do this in simple English, step by step. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Rebecca,

Right click on the row number identifer on the left of the page. This will
select the entire row and bring up a menu. Select Cut.

Right click on the row where you want to insert. This will select the entire
row and display a menu. Select Insert Cut cells.

Note when inserting the row, it inserts it above the one that has been
selected.

In earlier versions of Excel, all the above can be done with the right mouse
button although when selecting the menu options you can use either button. In
Excel 2007, you still initially use the right mouse button but the menu
options have to be selected with the left mouse button. I am not sure if
there are any options to modify this.

OssieMac

"Rebecca" wrote:

Hi. Is it possible to move a row or rows to other places using drag and drop?

Right now I insert a new (empty) row in the place or places I want to paste,
then I copy the row or rows I want to move, paste it or them in the empty
rows and then go back and delete the rows that have just been copied.

This is quite tedious, indeed. Is there a faster way to move rows, aside
from creating a macro, which I am unable to do? If it is possible, please
explain how to do this in simple English, step by step. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

And you could use the macro recorder whilst doing this.

Or is the "unable to do" some kind of IT restriction imposed upon you?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Rebecca" wrote:

Hi. Is it possible to move a row or rows to other places using drag and drop?

Right now I insert a new (empty) row in the place or places I want to paste,
then I copy the row or rows I want to move, paste it or them in the empty
rows and then go back and delete the rows that have just been copied.

This is quite tedious, indeed. Is there a faster way to move rows, aside
from creating a macro, which I am unable to do? If it is possible, please
explain how to do this in simple English, step by step. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Rebecca wrote:
Hi. Is it possible to move a row or rows to other places using drag and drop?

Right now I insert a new (empty) row in the place or places I want to paste,
then I copy the row or rows I want to move, paste it or them in the empty
rows and then go back and delete the rows that have just been copied.

This is quite tedious, indeed. Is there a faster way to move rows, aside
from creating a macro, which I am unable to do? If it is possible, please
explain how to do this in simple English, step by step. Thanks.

Click on the the row/column header to highlight the entire row. Hold
down the shift key and place your cursor in the heading and you should
see a cursor with 4 arrows now just drag the row where you want it. Try
this on a test sheet it can be a bit difficult the first couple of times.

gls858

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Rebecca,

There is no sarcasm or demeaning remarks in Gord's post.
As you said you came to this group looking for help which you
recieved and will always recieve in these groups.

Gord is one of the most patient and helpful users in these newsgroups
that's why he has been awarded the MVP title.

Were you to ask Gord about how he feels the Macro recorder
could add to the solution you already recieved, you will find
that he is (as are many others) more than willing to walk you through
the process.

You will very rarely find attitude in these newsgroups.

Kind Regards
Martin

"Rebecca" wrote:

Hi. Is it possible to move a row or rows to other places using drag
and drop?

Right now I insert a new (empty) row in the place or places I want
to paste,
then I copy the row or rows I want to move, paste it or them in the
empty
rows and then go back and delete the rows that have just been
copied.

This is quite tedious, indeed. Is there a faster way to move rows,
aside
from creating a macro, which I am unable to do? If it is possible,
please
explain how to do this in simple English, step by step. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Rebecca

There are many people who post in these NG's who are employed by
organisations who prohibit the use of macro solutions.
Gord was merely enquiring whether you were under that sort of imposition.
If you are not, then he was suggesting you could create a macro, by turning
on the recorder whilst carrying out the steps that OssieMac proposed.

I certainly didn't consider his response to be in any way demeaning, or
sarcastic and neither would that be in his nature.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Rebecca" wrote:

Hi. Is it possible to move a row or rows to other places using drag
and drop?

Right now I insert a new (empty) row in the place or places I want
to paste,
then I copy the row or rows I want to move, paste it or them in the
empty
rows and then go back and delete the rows that have just been
copied.

This is quite tedious, indeed. Is there a faster way to move rows,
aside
from creating a macro, which I am unable to do? If it is possible,
please
explain how to do this in simple English, step by step. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Others have responded in my defense and have interpreted my response in the vein
in which it was intended.

You stated "aside from creating a macro, which I am unable to do?"

I was merely inquiring if you were restricted from using macros by your IT Dept,
which is quite common.

If you had stated "I don't know how" then my response would have been to walk
you through creating a simple macro using the recorder.

Gord

"Rebecca" wrote:

Hi. Is it possible to move a row or rows to other places using drag and drop?

Right now I insert a new (empty) row in the place or places I want to paste,
then I copy the row or rows I want to move, paste it or them in the empty
rows and then go back and delete the rows that have just been copied.

This is quite tedious, indeed. Is there a faster way to move rows, aside
from creating a macro, which I am unable to do? If it is possible, please
explain how to do this in simple English, step by step. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I'm sorry for my hasty misunderstanding of Gord's remarks. It's entirely my
fault for not reading (or thinking more carefully) about your post. I never
assumed some companies would prohibit the creation of macros, but now that
your defenders mentioned the reasons, it all makes sense. Again, I apologize
for the false accusation.

"Rebecca" wrote:

Hi. Is it possible to move a row or rows to other places using drag and drop?

Right now I insert a new (empty) row in the place or places I want to paste,
then I copy the row or rows I want to move, paste it or them in the empty
rows and then go back and delete the rows that have just been copied.

This is quite tedious, indeed. Is there a faster way to move rows, aside
from creating a macro, which I am unable to do? If it is possible, please
explain how to do this in simple English, step by step. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you Rebecca.

In your defense, the quotes around "unable to do" look a little sarcastic in
light of your not knowing that many companies have restictions on running macros
or installing Add-ins.

Gord