Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Need Excel birthday list template

I found Excel templates for almost everything imaginable, so there must be
one for a birthday list. I want to track people with dates and maybe a
column for a gift and card. I want to be able to sort by name as well as by
date. Is there one? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

GayeSF wrote:
I found Excel templates for almost everything imaginable, so there must be
one for a birthday list. I want to track people with dates and maybe a
column for a gift and card. I want to be able to sort by name as well as by
date. Is there one? Thanks.

Do you REALLY need a TEMPLATE to do this simple job?

New Workbook. Head your columns with Name, Date, and then anything else
you want. that's IT! That's ALL THERE IS!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Not really.

If people say they want to sort on birthday, they generally don't mean birth date, including the year. But often they do want to
include the year, just not include it in the sort.

One way is to have a complete birth date (let's say in column A), and in the column next it : =TEXT(A1,"mmdd")

Now you can sort on column B and have a birthday calendar.

Make sure your dates are "real" Excel dates, not text or "normal" numbers.
Enter them the way Excel displays a date if you enter the formula =TODAY()

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Gordon" wrote in message ...
| GayeSF wrote:
| I found Excel templates for almost everything imaginable, so there must be
| one for a birthday list. I want to track people with dates and maybe a
| column for a gift and card. I want to be able to sort by name as well as by
| date. Is there one? Thanks.
|

| Do you REALLY need a TEMPLATE to do this simple job?
|
| New Workbook. Head your columns with Name, Date, and then anything else
| you want. that's IT! That's ALL THERE IS!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Niek Otten wrote:
Not really.

If people say they want to sort on birthday, they generally don't mean birth date, including the year. But often they do want to
include the year, just not include it in the sort.

One way is to have a complete birth date (let's say in column A), and in the column next it : =TEXT(A1,"mmdd")

Now you can sort on column B and have a birthday calendar.

Make sure your dates are "real" Excel dates, not text or "normal" numbers.
Enter them the way Excel displays a date if you enter the formula =TODAY()

Absolutely - not /quite/ sure why you're replying to me...;-)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you very much, Niek. I've never used Excel, so setting up even
something so simple was frustrating, especially ignorance of the formulae.
Rather than get "Excel for Dummies", I looked for a template. I appreciate
your explanation, and the clever way to sort on birthdays.
Yours truly,
Gaye