Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. T. is offline

Default A birthday list in Excel??

Hi

I am trying to set up a list of all my friends birthdays in Excel and then
trying to get Excel to sort them into date order ( so that I can just follow
them through the year - rather than them being in no logical order.)

However I just cant get the formula right to do it.

I am using the date format of dd/mm/yyyy (the British version)

I am using Excel 2007.

Any help is much apreciated.

T.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're saying that you want to sort by month and day, regardless of the
year, then you may be better off producing a helper column and sorting by
that. If your dates of birth are in A1, then try
=DATE(2008,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) and sort by that. Otherwise you could have
two helper columns MONTH(A1) and DAY(A1) and sort by those two columns in
that order.
--
David Biddulph

"T." wrote in message
Hi

I am trying to set up a list of all my friends birthdays in Excel and then
trying to get Excel to sort them into date order ( so that I can just
follow
them through the year - rather than them being in no logical order.)

However I just cant get the formula right to do it.

I am using the date format of dd/mm/yyyy (the British version)

I am using Excel 2007.

Any help is much apreciated.

T.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you sort your block of data by date, then you will get the oldest
dates first, whereas I think you want to sort it by month and day so
that if you have 2 people with a birthday of, say, 6th January then
you will have them together. To do this make use of a helper column,
eg if you have dates in column A and names in column B, then use
column C with this formula in C2 (assuming you have a header row):

=MONTH(A2)*100+DAY(A2)

and copy this down column C for as many entries as you have in the
other columns. Then highlight all the data in columns A to C and Data
| Sort, and choose column C as the first sort field (ascending) with
column A as the second sort field (also ascending).

This should give you what you want, and you can delete column C after
the sort.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 11, 11:56 pm, T. wrote:
Hi

I am trying to set up a list of all my friends birthdays in Excel and then
trying to get Excel to sort them into date order ( so that I can just follow
them through the year - rather than them being in no logical order.)

However I just cant get the formula right to do it.

I am using the date format of dd/mm/yyyy (the British version)

I am using Excel 2007.

Any help is much apreciated.

T.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have been doing this for many years, but in outlook not excel. I do it in
the "tasks" applet. It works very well. It has variable reminders and you
can type in any information you want to save regarding each birthday at any
time and have that information available by clicking on the summary list.

s.com...