Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default A birthday list in Excel??

If you sort your block of data by date, then you will get the oldest
dates first, whereas I think you want to sort it by month and day so
that if you have 2 people with a birthday of, say, 6th January then
you will have them together. To do this make use of a helper column,
eg if you have dates in column A and names in column B, then use
column C with this formula in C2 (assuming you have a header row):

=MONTH(A2)*100+DAY(A2)

and copy this down column C for as many entries as you have in the
other columns. Then highlight all the data in columns A to C and Data
| Sort, and choose column C as the first sort field (ascending) with
column A as the second sort field (also ascending).

This should give you what you want, and you can delete column C after
the sort.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 11, 11:56 pm, T. wrote:
Hi

I am trying to set up a list of all my friends birthdays in Excel and then
trying to get Excel to sort them into date order ( so that I can just follow
them through the year - rather than them being in no logical order.)

However I just cant get the formula right to do it.

I am using the date format of dd/mm/yyyy (the British version)

I am using Excel 2007.

Any help is much apreciated.

T.