Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Concatenate

I have four columns to combine and I use the concatenate function. One of my
columns has either 3,4 or 5 characters. When I concatenate, there are spaces
in the middle of the end product.

How do I get those spaces to disappear in column 1? I can't just set the
length of the column to 3 or 4 or 5 characters because I need that varied
length. I just don't want the spaces at the end.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

With
A1: "Alpha "
B1: "Bravo "
C1: "Charlie "
(all without the quotes, of course)

This formula scrubs the spaces from the end result:
D1: =SUBSTITUTE(A1&B1&C1," ","")

In that example, it returns "AlphaBravoCharlie"

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Susie" wrote in message
I have four columns to combine and I use the concatenate function. One of
my
columns has either 3,4 or 5 characters. When I concatenate, there are
spaces
in the middle of the end product.

How do I get those spaces to disappear in column 1? I can't just set the
length of the column to 3 or 4 or 5 characters because I need that varied
length. I just don't want the spaces at the end.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=TRIM(B1&C1&D1&E1) entered in A1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP