Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Database Subset in Tabs?

I have a very basic table/database (columns of data with a field name in the
first row) on a sheet in one tab. How can I have other tabs which
dynamically show only data that matches certain criteria in the database?

For example, my database has columns for the Project Name, Project Number
and Status. In the Status column, it shows either Active, Closed or Dead.
How can I construct the worksheet so I have one tab that shows all of the
data for the Active projects, one for the Closed projects and one for the
Dead projects? I want the data on these 3 tabs to automatically change as
the original database sheet is added to and/or updated.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

"David L." wrote:
How can I construct the worksheet so I have one tab
that shows all of the data for the Active projects,
one for the Closed projects and one for the Dead projects?
I want the data on these 3 tabs to automatically change as
the original database sheet is added to and/or updated.

One way to get the above to happen
is shown in this sample construct from my archives:
http://www.savefile.com/files/430142
AutoCopy Lines to Resp Sht Non Array.xls
(Full details inside, nicely rendered. Easy to adapt ..)

Data is continuously entered in a master ("parent") sheet, with lines neatly
auto-copied to each individual ("child") sheet based on the values within a
key col**.

In the sample, the key col in the master sheet is the "State" col, which may
contain eg: NY, CA, NV, SD, AZ, etc. All lines with "NY" in the key col will
be auto-copied to the sheet named: NY, and appear neatly bunched at the top,
w/o any intervening blank lines. Ditto for lines with "CA", "NV", etc which
will be copied into their respective sheets.

Propagation of the "child" sheet is as simple as making a copy of the
initial one, then renaming it accordingly as the next key col value. Eg we
first formulate one child sheet for "NY", dress it up nicely, then just make
copies of the "NY" sheet, and rename these as: CA, NV, SD, etc.

**In your case, the Status column,
which shows either Active, Closed or Dead would be the key col
--
Max
Singapore