Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Macros will not run for a subset of users

List,

We are still a MS Office 2003 shop (all WinXP SP2 and patched), though I
have installed 2007 on one machine. We have been given a large Excel
spreadsheet containing several VB macros that we must implement soon.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the macros to execute properly for a small
subset of my users (WinXP limited user mode). Also unfortunately, we haven't
been given the password for the VB macros but it wouldn't matter much anyway
as I'm not a VB expert. However, I don't believe the problem resides in the
scripts but in this subset of users' profiles.

Here are the specifics for a user that works and is able to successfully
open the Excel file, see the resultant buttons, click on them and get them to
work:

These users can open their Excel file with either Excel 2003 or 2007 and
they work fine. They can also open the subset of users files (perms are
intentionally set that way for now) and get the file to properly open,
display the buttons, and run the macros when they are clicked upon.

The subset of users that don't work however, can open either their file or
that of someone else's (again, using either 2003 or 2007 on various
computers) but all that happens is the "static" data and formulas load.
Instead of the "buttons" loading, all I see for a couple of seconds is a
small "red x" in the correct position. Then, just blank space in these
locations. Once in a while, some of the buttons do show up, but no macro
runs when they are clicked.

I should add that the macro security settings for all users (those that work
and don't work) are set to medium AND the certificate for the originator of
the spreadsheet/macros/scripts has been successfully imported.

I suspect this is some sort of profile problem, but have exhausted my
knowledge and the internet. I should also add that I've used the Office
Profile Wizard to reload the default Office profile for some of these users,
but that hasn't helped either.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Shane