Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Copying formulas to another worksheet

Can anyone please help me, I am trying to copy a formula =(sump1:p3) from one
worksheet into a new worksheet. When I go to paste the formula the only
thing that comes up is =SUM(#REF!). Can I even copy and paste a formula from
one worksheet into a new worksheet? and if so how? Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

When you paste a formula it relatively changes the cell references to suit
where you have pasted it to. EG. If you pasted =sum(P1:P3) from cell P4 to
cell B4 it would change to =sum(B1:B3). However, if you pasted it to cell B2
it could not reasonably change the references. If you are pasting because you
want the anwsers to the formulas to appear in another sheet you can use Paste
Link.

Copy the cell(s) and then right-click the destination cell and choose Paste
Special. Click the Paste Link button. This will create a formula that
references the original location. =Sheet1!P4. This will then update as the
other sheets change. You can copy and paste full rows/columns and tables in
the same way.

--
Hope this helps