Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Can I get Excel to automatically BOLD dates 30d before expiration?

I am new to Excel (obviously), and I have created a simple worksheet that
contains numerous dates. I wish to have the dates become bold when they are
to expire within 30 days. Is there a formula for that purpose?

Thanks...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Select the range of cells to be formatted
Use the command Format | Conditional Formatting
In the dialog, specify:
Formula Is : =AND(A1TODAY(),A1-TODAY()<30)
and click the Format button the dialog to make bold and/or colour the cells)

NOTE: in this formula change A1 to the first (the one that is uppermost to
the left) cell in your range
best wishes and Happy New Year
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Donna" wrote in message
I am new to Excel (obviously), and I have created a simple worksheet that
contains numerous dates. I wish to have the dates become bold when they
are
to expire within 30 days. Is there a formula for that purpose?

Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Try conditional formatting

(Steps in xl2003)
Assuming dates running in A1 down (real dates are presumed)
Select col A (A1 active)
Click Format Conditional Formatting
Under Condition 1,
Formula Is: =AND(A1<"",A1-TODAY()<=30)
Format Font tab Bold OK
OK out
--
Max
Singapore
"Donna" wrote:
I am new to Excel (obviously), and I have created a simple worksheet that
contains numerous dates. I wish to have the dates become bold when they are
to expire within 30 days. Is there a formula for that purpose?

Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Donna

FormatConditional FormattingFormula is:

=A1=TODAY()-30

Format to your color of choice from Patterns Tab

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:57:03 -0800, Donna
wrote:

I am new to Excel (obviously), and I have created a simple worksheet that
contains numerous dates. I wish to have the dates become bold when they are
to expire within 30 days. Is there a formula for that purpose?

Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Bernard, can you help me with one other please?
What would the formula be for changing formula for greater than 30 days but
less than 60??

In other words when the expiration date is less than 60 days away, but
greater than 30 days away.

I really appreciate your time!!

Donna

"Donna" wrote in message
I am new to Excel (obviously), and I have created a simple worksheet that
contains numerous dates. I wish to have the dates become bold when they
are
to expire within 30 days. Is there a formula for that purpose?

Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

.. when the expiration date is less than 60 days away, but
greater than 30 days away.

Think you could put it in CF's Condition 2 as:
=AND(A1-TODAY()30,A1-TODAY()<60)

--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Firstly, go back into Format/ Condition Formatting/ Formula Is, and check
that the formula is what you intended it to be. Excel has a habit of
changing things, particularly if you forgot to enter the = sign at the start
of the formula. Check also that it is referring to the correct cell. Check
again that the Format option within your Conditional Formatting condition is
set to what you thought you'd set (bold, or whatever).
If the formula looks as you expected, are you sure that A1 contains a real
Excel date (and not a text string that looks like a date)? If you
temporaily reformat the cell as General, you should see a number between
39457 and 39485 if it is to satisfy your test.
--
David Biddulph

"Donna" wrote in message
I am new to Excel (obviously), and I have created a simple worksheet
that
contains numerous dates. I wish to have the dates become bold when
they
are
to expire within 30 days. Is there a formula for that purpose?

Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

One more time............no formula is entered "in a cell" so there is no cell
to change.

With "real" dates in A1 to A100 starting with January 1, 2008

Make sure they are real dates and not text.

Select B1:E100

FormatConditional FormattingFormula is:

=AND(A1TODAY(),A1-TODAY()<30) entered in the dialog box.

Format to a nice color and OK your way out.

A1:A30 should be colored.

If not, check the formula in CF to be sure it is exactly as written.

As David points out, Excel will sometimes change things.

When I pasted =AND(A1TODAY(),A1-TODAY()<30) in the Formula is dialog, Excel
altered it to

="=AND(A1TODAY(),A1-TODAY()<30)" which would not work.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Donna" wrote in message
I am new to Excel (obviously), and I have created a simple worksheet
that
contains numerous dates. I wish to have the dates become bold when
they
are
to expire within 30 days. Is there a formula for that purpose?

Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

A couple of minor corrections to what Gord said.

If you are starting with 1/1/08 in A1, the rows which will show coloured (as
today is Jan 10th) will be 11 to 39, not 1 to 30.

And with the formula as specified, the cells coloured would be B11:B39. If
you want the whole of B11:E39 coloured, change the formula from
=AND(A1TODAY(),A1-TODAY()<30) to
=AND($A1TODAY(),$A1-TODAY()<30) to keep the column reference absolute,
rather than relative.
--
David Biddulph

"Donna" wrote in message
I am new to Excel (obviously), and I have created a simple worksheet
that
contains numerous dates. I wish to have the dates become bold when
they
are
to expire within 30 days. Is there a formula for that purpose?

Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks David.

Gord