Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Link variable data from one worksheet to another worksheet?

I am trying to link variable data from one worksheet (my source worksheet) to
several other worksheets. For example, my source worksheet has two variables
or columns: 'Team' and 'Bye Week'. The first entry under the 'team' column
reads 'NE'. Let's say for this example that the first entry under the 'Bye
Week' column is the number '10'. Given this, I want every entry under the
'Team' column in other worksheets that read 'NE', to read the number '10'
under the 'Bye Week' column. Let's also say that one of the entries under
the 'Team' column reads 'BAL'. For every entry in the 'Team' column that
reads 'BAL' in other worksheets, I want the entry in the 'Bye Week' column to
read the number '5'. So on and so forth. To summarize, I need to link each
piece of data in column "A" ('Team') to it's corresponding piece of data in
column "B" ('Bye Week') across other worksheets. I hope my explanation is
not too confusing. It might sound like a trivial problem, but I haven't
worked with Excel in this manner before and this would make my life so much
easier for years to come. Thank you in advance for your input and help. I
am using Microsoft Office 2003.
--Ty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

One way is via INDEX/MATCH

Assume your source sheet is named simply as: x
with data in cols A and B, from row2 down,
"Team" in col A, "Bye Week" in col B

In your other sheets,
if you have "Team" listed in col A, data from row2 down (with data not
necessarily in the same order as that in the source sheet)

then you could place this in B2:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,x!A:A,0)),"",INDEX(x!B:B,MATCH(A 2,x!A:A,0)))
Copy B2 down as far as required to return the corresponding "Bye Week"
figures from the source sheet: x
--
Max
Singapore
"T MAT" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks for your reply. I am a little slow at following computer instructions
like this, but I think you are describing exactly what I need. I am going to
give it a try and get back to you. Thanks for your time.

--Ty