Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default function for date?

What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message ...
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Is this what you are looking for?

For today: =TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Specified date: =TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Rick

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Rick.

Jorge

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
Is this what you are looking for?

For today: =TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Specified date: =TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Rick

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JMB JMB is offline

Change the cell format
Format/Cells/Custom
mmmm d, yyyy

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote:

You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

=TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

The above format works perfect on 2003Excel (from 2003 Office Suite) but did
not work on 97Excel file (from 97Office Suite).
Although I am using 2003Excel, I still use some excel templates from 97
Excel.

I would very much appreciate it if you could post the date function for 97
Excel.

Thank you. Jorge

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
Is this what you are looking for?

For today: =TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Specified date: =TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Rick

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It's no difference, the date functions haven't changed. What happened when
you tried it on excel 97?
Regardless you don't need the text function or the date function to get a
date to display as

November 26, 2007

just type in the date as 11/26/07 and the do formatcellsnumbercustom and
use

mmmm dd, yyyy

Peo Sjoblom

[...]

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I am not that computer-literate.

When I type in "=TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")" in a cell of 97Excel xls,
it did convert into date.
It shows the same "=TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")" function in the cell.
All templates from 97Excel did not work.

But when I type it in 2003 Excel sheet, it automatically convert into
November 28, 2007.

just type in the date as 11/26/07 and the do formatcellsnumbercustom
and use

I could not quite follow your instruction. I got stuck at "number".

Jorge,

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
[...]

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Type 11/26/07 in a cell, select the cell, press Ctrl and 1
then scroll down to custom and type in mmmm dd, yyyy in the type box on the
right hand side then press enter

Peo Sjoblom

[...]

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

type in mmmm dd, yyyy in the type box on the right hand side then press
enter

When I follow your instruciton, here is a problem.
There is no column or anything to TYPE IN.
I got to select one from the existing codes.
Closest one I could see from the drop down codes is m/d/yyy.
Is that what you meant?

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No, you have to physically highlight whatever is in the right hand side just
below
Type:
before you can type in the format

If you just go to an empty new cell it will say General in the little box
below the word Type: Now select that word with your mouse and type in the
new format

In the left pane it says Category:, then beneath you can see all different
categories, the bottom one says Custom, select custom and you will get the
Type: box in the right pane

Peo Sjoblom

[...]

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote
in message ...
Is this what you are looking for?

For today: =TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Specified date: =TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Rick

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel?
TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Peo,

I have never done similar thing before. Now, I am learning how.
Now, I typed in the type box ant then hit enter.

Then, how to use it?

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel?
TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Put 11/26/07 in a cell where you have applied this formatting

mmmm dd, yyyy

and it will show as

November 26, 2007

Peo Sjoblom

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel?
TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you.

I got it.

wrote in message ...
Is this what you are looking for?

For today: =TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Specified date: =TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Rick

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel?
TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Rick,

Could you please come up with a similar function for 97Excel?
I am waiting. Jorge

"JMB" wrote in message
Change the cell format
Format/Cells/Custom
mmmm d, yyyy

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote:

You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It's not a function and it works in Excel 97

Peo Sjoblom

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
Rick,

Could you please come up with a similar function for 97Excel?
I am waiting. Jorge

"JMB" wrote in message
Change the cell format
Format/Cells/Custom
mmmm d, yyyy

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote:

You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Peo,

Being as Jorge was replying to Rick and the only post from Rick that I can
see in this thread is:

Is this what you are looking for?

For today: =TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Specified date: =TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Rick

I am wondering if my OE is missing posts again becuase that formula works in
XL97

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
It's not a function and it works in Excel 97

Peo Sjoblom

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
Rick,

Could you please come up with a similar function for 97Excel?
I am waiting. Jorge

"JMB" wrote in message
Change the cell format
Format/Cells/Custom
mmmm d, yyyy

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote:

You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

While he might be replying back to Rick he quotes JMB so he might have
thought that JMB was Rich? Nevertheless there is no need for any functions
and also if he wants to use the TEXT function

=TEXT("11/26,07","mmmm dd, yyyy")

will suffice.

Peo Sjoblom

"Sandy Mann" wrote in message
Hi Peo,

Being as Jorge was replying to Rick and the only post from Rick that I can
see in this thread is:

Is this what you are looking for?

For today: =TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Specified date: =TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Rick

I am wondering if my OE is missing posts again becuase that formula works
in XL97

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
It's not a function and it works in Excel 97

Peo Sjoblom

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
Rick,

Could you please come up with a similar function for 97Excel?
I am waiting. Jorge

"JMB" wrote in message
Change the cell format
Format/Cells/Custom
mmmm d, yyyy

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote:

You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel? TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

OK.
Now I realized that there was a confusion somewhere.
Since my wife computer is installed with 97office suite, I checked how those
functions work on 97Excel.

With native 97Excel or 2003Excel files, "=TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd,
yyyy")" function worked just fine.
No problem.

But the above function did not work on any of 97Excel files which are
opened under 2003Excel.

(Note: my computer is installed with 2003 Office Suite. But I use 97Excel
templates under 2003 Excel.).

I hope that this clarifies what was the problem.

"Sandy Mann" wrote in message
Hi Peo,

Being as Jorge was replying to Rick and the only post from Rick that I
can see in this thread is:

Is this what you are looking for?

For today: =TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Specified date: =TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Rick

I am wondering if my OE is missing posts again becuase that formula works
in XL97

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
It's not a function and it works in Excel 97

Peo Sjoblom

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
Rick,

Could you please come up with a similar function for 97Excel?
I am waiting. Jorge

"JMB" wrote in message
Change the cell format
Format/Cells/Custom
mmmm d, yyyy

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote:

You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel?
TIA.
| Jorge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

What do you mean by "the above function did not work"?

What error message did you get? If not an error message, what value did the
formula =TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy") return? If the cell merely
displayed the formula, rather than the result, make sure that you haven't
got the cell formatted as text; if it is, then format as General, and
either re-insert the formula, or hit F2 to get into formula edit mode and
hit Enter.
--
David Biddulph

"Sandy Mann" wrote in message
Hi Peo,

Being as Jorge was replying to Rick and the only post from Rick that I
can see in this thread is:

Is this what you are looking for?

For today: =TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Specified date: =TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Rick

I am wondering if my OE is missing posts again becuase that formula
works in XL97

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
It's not a function and it works in Excel 97

Peo Sjoblom

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
Rick,

Could you please come up with a similar function for 97Excel?
I am waiting. Jorge

"JMB" wrote in message
Change the cell format
Format/Cells/Custom
mmmm d, yyyy

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote:

You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day: