Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default date for 2002 Excel.exe

I'm getting too many results when I try to find this myself. Can someone
tell me the date that is associated with the 2002 version of Excel.exe?
Thanks! I use 2007 so can't tell by the file on my computer but am trying
to help someone who uses 2002.

Boze

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Do you mean the date format used? That really depends on your regional
settings! Can be dd/mm/yyyy, yyyy/mm/dd, mm/dd/yyyy or yyyy/dd/mm, or even
with mmm iso mm.

--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman
Change xxx to hotmail

"Boze" wrote:

I'm getting too many results when I try to find this myself. Can someone
tell me the date that is associated with the 2002 version of Excel.exe?
Thanks! I use 2007 so can't tell by the file on my computer but am trying
to help someone who uses 2002.

Boze

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No but thank you. Every program has a date that's associated with it's
files. Excel.exe with the date of 8/13/03 is Office 2003. I'm trying to
find the date of Excel.exe that corresponds with Office 2002

"Boze" wrote:

I'm getting too many results when I try to find this myself. Can someone
tell me the date that is associated with the 2002 version of Excel.exe?
Thanks! I use 2007 so can't tell by the file on my computer but am trying
to help someone who uses 2002.

Boze

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Boze,

< Every program has a date that's associated with it's files. Excel.exe with the date of 8/13/03 is Office 2003

No, that is not the case. My Excel 2003 has a date in 2007.

In Excel, in the Help menu, choose "About Microsoft Office Excel" (or a similar choice); that wll show you all the details about
version, SP, etc

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Boze" wrote in message ...
| No but thank you. Every program has a date that's associated with it's
| files. Excel.exe with the date of 8/13/03 is Office 2003. I'm trying to
| find the date of Excel.exe that corresponds with Office 2002
|
| "Kassie" wrote in message
| Do you mean the date format used? That really depends on your regional
| settings! Can be dd/mm/yyyy, yyyy/mm/dd, mm/dd/yyyy or yyyy/dd/mm, or even
| with mmm iso mm.
|
| --
| Hth
|
| Kassie Kasselman
| Change xxx to hotmail
|

| "Boze" wrote:
|
| I'm getting too many results when I try to find this myself. Can someone
| tell me the date that is associated with the 2002 version of Excel.exe?
| Thanks! I use 2007 so can't tell by the file on my computer but am trying
| to help someone who uses 2002.
|
| Boze

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

24 July 2007, 14:37:42, is what I get when I do a DIR on Office10, Excel.exe.
My installation CD shows a date of 07/03/2001 14:22 for the Setup directory,
if that could help you.
--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman
Change xxx to hotmail

"Boze" wrote:

I'm getting too many results when I try to find this myself. Can someone
tell me the date that is associated with the 2002 version of Excel.exe?
Thanks! I use 2007 so can't tell by the file on my computer but am trying
to help someone who uses 2002.

Boze

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks. That makes sense that the service packs would change the date.
Forgot about that.

I can't use the Help About method because I don't have 2002 and the friend
I'm trying to help is having a problem launching hers so she can't open it
and look. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Somewhere there has to be a list of the dates with the corresponding
versions and service packs. All I've been able to find is the version and
version number.. 10.. xxx.

Hi Boze,

"Boze" wrote in message
| No but thank you. Every program has a date that's associated with it's
| files. Excel.exe with the date of 8/13/03 is Office 2003. I'm trying to
| find the date of Excel.exe that corresponds with Office 2002
|
| "Kassie" wrote in message
| Do you mean the date format used? That really depends on your regional
| settings! Can be dd/mm/yyyy, yyyy/mm/dd, mm/dd/yyyy or yyyy/dd/mm, or
even
| with mmm iso mm.
|
| --
| Hth
|
| Kassie Kasselman
| Change xxx to hotmail
|

| "Boze" wrote:
|
| I'm getting too many results when I try to find this myself. Can
someone
| tell me the date that is associated with the 2002 version of Excel.exe?
| Thanks! I use 2007 so can't tell by the file on my computer but am
trying
| to help someone who uses 2002.
|
| Boze

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yes, that does help. I'll mention both dates to my friend. I doubt she
would've applied any service packs but she's had the computer in the shop so
a tech may have updated for her.

"Boze" wrote:

I'm getting too many results when I try to find this myself. Can
someone
tell me the date that is associated with the 2002 version of Excel.exe?
Thanks! I use 2007 so can't tell by the file on my computer but am
trying
to help someone who uses 2002.

Boze

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

But, Boze,

Why do you want to know? In most cases, once it's Excel97 or higher, the version is irrelevant.
Share the problem if you wish.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Boze" wrote in message ...
| Yes, that does help. I'll mention both dates to my friend. I doubt she
| would've applied any service packs but she's had the computer in the shop so
| a tech may have updated for her.
|

| "Kassie" wrote in message
| 24 July 2007, 14:37:42, is what I get when I do a DIR on Office10,
| Excel.exe.
| My installation CD shows a date of 07/03/2001 14:22 for the Setup
| directory,
| if that could help you.
| --
| Hth
|
| Kassie Kasselman
| Change xxx to hotmail
|

| "Boze" wrote:
|
| No but thank you. Every program has a date that's associated with it's
| files. Excel.exe with the date of 8/13/03 is Office 2003. I'm trying to
| find the date of Excel.exe that corresponds with Office 2002
|
| "Kassie" wrote in message
| Do you mean the date format used? That really depends on your regional
| settings! Can be dd/mm/yyyy, yyyy/mm/dd, mm/dd/yyyy or yyyy/dd/mm, or
| even
| with mmm iso mm.
|
| --
| Hth
|
| Kassie Kasselman
| Change xxx to hotmail
|

| "Boze" wrote:
|
| I'm getting too many results when I try to find this myself. Can
| someone
| tell me the date that is associated with the 2002 version of Excel.exe?
| Thanks! I use 2007 so can't tell by the file on my computer but am
| trying
| to help someone who uses 2002.
|
| Boze

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

She exported some spreadsheet data from a web page to her computer. Now
when she tries to double click an xls she gets a window wanting to install
Excel (or maybe Office) 2003. She only has 2002. She also can't find Excel
to just open it directly, say from the Programs menu. She always double
clicks the file.
So.. I had her search for Excel.exe and she found 6 instances of it. I'm
trying to narrow it down, by date.. to the one for 2002 rather than have her
try launching each of the 6. I think she'd get confused if one worked...
wouldn't remember which one it was.
I just need to go over to her computer and look at I think. It's an hour
away so thought she could wait til the weekend but she's fairly worked up
about her 'broken computer'.
Once I find if there's an Excel that works I'll associate it with the .xls
and she should be set.

Thanks for the help. Good reminder about the different dates for 2002.

"Boze" wrote in message
| Yes, that does help. I'll mention both dates to my friend. I doubt she
| would've applied any service packs but she's had the computer in the shop
so
| a tech may have updated for her.
|

| "Kassie" wrote in message
| 24 July 2007, 14:37:42, is what I get when I do a DIR on Office10,
| Excel.exe.
| My installation CD shows a date of 07/03/2001 14:22 for the Setup
| directory,
| if that could help you.
| --
| Hth
|
| Kassie Kasselman
| Change xxx to hotmail
|

| "Boze" wrote:
|
| No but thank you. Every program has a date that's associated with it's
| files. Excel.exe with the date of 8/13/03 is Office 2003. I'm trying
| find the date of Excel.exe that corresponds with Office 2002
|
| "Kassie" wrote in message
| Do you mean the date format used? That really depends on your regional
| settings! Can be dd/mm/yyyy, yyyy/mm/dd, mm/dd/yyyy or yyyy/dd/mm, or
| even
| with mmm iso mm.
|
| --
| Hth
|
| Kassie Kasselman
| Change xxx to hotmail
|

| "Boze" wrote:
|
| I'm getting too many results when I try to find this myself. Can
| someone
| tell me the date that is associated with the 2002 version of
Excel.exe?
| Thanks! I use 2007 so can't tell by the file on my computer but am
| trying
| to help someone who uses 2002.
|
| Boze

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yes, that would work well but the user is easily frustrated. I was thinking
the date, because it's visible in Explorer or My Computer, would be the
easiest for her. Saving any steps (right-click, properties, look for the
version) would be the best. I'll just go over and look at it. Or am I
forgetting an easier way to determine the version?

"Boze" wrote:

I'm getting too many results when I try to find this myself. Can someone
tell me the date that is associated with the 2002 version of Excel.exe?
Thanks! I use 2007 so can't tell by the file on my computer but am
trying
to help someone who uses 2002.

Boze

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Boze,

So she can find Excel.exe versions. Let her double-click one to start Excel (the newest one is probably wise)
Then she can open the file in question from the File menu in Excel
There's a lot of compatibility between Excel versions from 1997 to 2006/7....

Just try

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Boze" wrote in message ...
> [...]
|| files. Excel.exe with the date of 8/13/03 is Office 2003. I'm trying
|| find the date of Excel.exe that corresponds with Office 2002
|| "Kassie" wrote in message
|| Do you mean the date format used? That really depends on your regional
|| settings! Can be dd/mm/yyyy, yyyy/mm/dd, mm/dd/yyyy or yyyy/dd/mm, or
|| even
|| with mmm iso mm.
|| --
|| Hth
|| Kassie Kasselman
|| Change xxx to hotmail
|| "Boze" wrote:
|| I'm getting too many results when I try to find this myself. Can
|| someone
|| tell me the date that is associated with the 2002 version of
| Excel.exe?
|| Thanks! I use 2007 so can't tell by the file on my computer but am

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yes, my experience with her is that she gets confused. so I was avoiding
that but it certainly would work. Thanks