Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Boze Boze is offline

Default date for 2002 Excel.exe

She exported some spreadsheet data from a web page to her computer. Now
when she tries to double click an xls she gets a window wanting to install
Excel (or maybe Office) 2003. She only has 2002. She also can't find Excel
to just open it directly, say from the Programs menu. She always double
clicks the file.
So.. I had her search for Excel.exe and she found 6 instances of it. I'm
trying to narrow it down, by date.. to the one for 2002 rather than have her
try launching each of the 6. I think she'd get confused if one worked...
wouldn't remember which one it was.
I just need to go over to her computer and look at I think. It's an hour
away so thought she could wait til the weekend but she's fairly worked up
about her 'broken computer'.
Once I find if there's an Excel that works I'll associate it with the .xls
and she should be set.

Thanks for the help. Good reminder about the different dates for 2002.

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
But, Boze,

Why do you want to know? In most cases, once it's Excel97 or higher, the
version is irrelevant.
Share the problem if you wish.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Boze" wrote in message
| Yes, that does help. I'll mention both dates to my friend. I doubt she
| would've applied any service packs but she's had the computer in the shop
so
| a tech may have updated for her.
|

| "Kassie" wrote in message
| 24 July 2007, 14:37:42, is what I get when I do a DIR on Office10,
| Excel.exe.
| My installation CD shows a date of 07/03/2001 14:22 for the Setup
| directory,
| if that could help you.
| --
| Hth
|
| Kassie Kasselman
| Change xxx to hotmail
|

| "Boze" wrote:
|
| No but thank you. Every program has a date that's associated with it's
| files. Excel.exe with the date of 8/13/03 is Office 2003. I'm trying
| find the date of Excel.exe that corresponds with Office 2002
|
| "Kassie" wrote in message
| Do you mean the date format used? That really depends on your regional
| settings! Can be dd/mm/yyyy, yyyy/mm/dd, mm/dd/yyyy or yyyy/dd/mm, or
| even
| with mmm iso mm.
|
| --
| Hth
|
| Kassie Kasselman
| Change xxx to hotmail
|

| "Boze" wrote:
|
| I'm getting too many results when I try to find this myself. Can
| someone
| tell me the date that is associated with the 2002 version of
Excel.exe?