Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Compare Text

Hello,

I have two columns of names, DO and DQ. I need to know when there's a match
without going row by row and maunally eyeballing it. I've spent all morning
trying to figure out. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

One way:

=IF(COUNTIF(DQ:DQ,DO1),"Match","No Match")

Another:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(DO1,DQ:DQ,FALSE),"No Match","Match")

In article ,
Toria wrote:

Hello,

I have two columns of names, DO and DQ. I need to know when there's a match
without going row by row and maunally eyeballing it. I've spent all morning
trying to figure out. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

select row DO and click Format-Conditional Formatting
select "Cell Value Is" and "equal to" and enter the following formula in the
box
=DQ1
Click Format and select an obvious background color like lime green
Click okay

every cell in DO that matches DQ will now be highlighted.

"Toria" wrote:

Hello,

I have two columns of names, DO and DQ. I need to know when there's a match
without going row by row and maunally eyeballing it. I've spent all morning
trying to figure out. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

One other interp ..

Assuming source names in cols DO, DQ are running in row2 down

Place in DR2:
=IF(COUNTA(DO2,DQ2)<2,"",TRIM(DO2)=TRIM(DQ2))
Copy down to the last row of data in cols DO/DQ. Col DR will return TRUE if
the names match on the same row (using TRIM will disregard any extraneous
space/s), FALSE if they don't match & blank if data is incomplete for
matching (either both DO/DQ blank, or one of the cols is blank). You could
then easily apply autofilter on col DR (via DataFilterAutofilter), and
filter out TRUE cases from the autofilter droplist in DR1.
--
Max
Singapore
"Toria" wrote:
Hello,

I have two columns of names, DO and DQ. I need to know when there's a match
without going row by row and maunally eyeballing it. I've spent all morning
trying to figure out. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

One more option for you. In Excel 2007, you can select both columns, go to
Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells Rules, and choose Duplicate Values.
It will fill cells with duplicate values with color.