Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default keeping the rows together

I'm Creating a directory based on new clientele and i want it alphabetical.
now my problem is tha if i enter for example in A1 Kim Smith, B1 111 rogers
rd, C1 555-555-5555, then continue with other names addresses and phone
numbers, how can i get all the info per row to stay together when i sort
column A? Is there a way to make the each column in the row work as one when
it sorts?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Simply select the *entire* datalist before you sort.

I suggest to *never* use the sort icons on the toolbar.

In fact, I've removed them from the machines of all my users.

XL is right most of the time ... BUT NOT all of the time.
--

HTH,

RD

"king_reggie" wrote in message
I'm Creating a directory based on new clientele and i want it alphabetical.
now my problem is tha if i enter for example in A1 Kim Smith, B1 111 rogers
rd, C1 555-555-5555, then continue with other names addresses and phone
numbers, how can i get all the info per row to stay together when i sort
column A? Is there a way to make the each column in the row work as one when
it sorts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

select the entire worksheet by "ctrl+A".
select Data-Sort
Select "Column A" in Ascending order...ensure that in "Options" it is
selected to be columns and NOT rows...

Let us know if this also doesnt work...

"king_reggie" wrote:

I'm Creating a directory based on new clientele and i want it alphabetical.
now my problem is tha if i enter for example in A1 Kim Smith, B1 111 rogers
rd, C1 555-555-5555, then continue with other names addresses and phone
numbers, how can i get all the info per row to stay together when i sort
column A? Is there a way to make the each column in the row work as one when
it sorts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

That didnt work either...after i highlight the worksheet i go into Data but
the Sort option is not available, i cant select it. i don't know whats going
on...is there a way to do it without highlighting the whole worksheet?

"king_reggie" wrote:

I'm Creating a directory based on new clientele and i want it alphabetical.
now my problem is tha if i enter for example in A1 Kim Smith, B1 111 rogers
rd, C1 555-555-5555, then continue with other names addresses and phone
numbers, how can i get all the info per row to stay together when i sort
column A? Is there a way to make the each column in the row work as one when
it sorts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Click the letter A above your column of names.
Hold down the shift key and click the header letter of the last column that
you wish to sort.

Data Sort ...... as previously described.

George Gee

"king_reggie" wrote:

I'm Creating a directory based on new clientele and i want it
alphabetical.
now my problem is tha if i enter for example in A1 Kim Smith, B1 111
rogers
rd, C1 555-555-5555, then continue with other names addresses and phone
numbers, how can i get all the info per row to stay together when i
sort
column A? Is there a way to make the each column in the row work as one
when
it sorts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I don't think your program is faulty.