Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I write a basic VLOOKUP statement?

I know most of the posts here are for advanced users... but, please help!
I have a column of data in one spreadsheet (column A) in a workbook and
another column of data (also column A) in another spreadsheet in the same
workbook. I want to confirm that all of the data in the first spreadsheet is
in the second, and identity those that are not.

I know this is a very very basic VLOOKUP statement, but I am lost.

thanks for anyones help,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Give this a try. In column B of Sheet 1 enter:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,'Sheet 2'!$A$1:$A$100,1,FALSE)),"Missing","OK")

Copy down Column B for each value in column A. I just assumed your data was
in cells A1 thru A100. Change this range to meet your needs. Also, change
Sheet 2 to match the actual name of your second sheet.

HTH,
Elkar

"Maureen" wrote:

I know most of the posts here are for advanced users... but, please help!
I have a column of data in one spreadsheet (column A) in a workbook and
another column of data (also column A) in another spreadsheet in the same
workbook. I want to confirm that all of the data in the first spreadsheet is
in the second, and identity those that are not.

I know this is a very very basic VLOOKUP statement, but I am lost.

thanks for anyones help,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Rod Rod is offline

for future reference, remember that ISNA only works for the one type of
error. you can use ISERROR in the same fashion for all errors not just
missing data. if you only need to find the missing data, and don't need to
validate correct data you can use
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,'Sheet 2'!$A$1:$A$100,1,FALSE)),"Missing")
and this will work just for finding errors in your range without having to
validate any other data.

"Maureen" wrote:

I know most of the posts here are for advanced users... but, please help!
I have a column of data in one spreadsheet (column A) in a workbook and
another column of data (also column A) in another spreadsheet in the same
workbook. I want to confirm that all of the data in the first spreadsheet is
in the second, and identity those that are not.

I know this is a very very basic VLOOKUP statement, but I am lost.

thanks for anyones help,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

That's why one wants to use it, if you don't want to get NA errors because
the value cannot be found it's perfect to use that particular function to
trap it but using ISERROR or IFERROR (in Excel 2007) will trap all errors
even those that can be of interest to know

Peo Sjoblom