Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default copied subtotals only

Excel 2007 I had three very large sheet 70,000 plus rows. I arranged and
subtotaled these as needed and then copied only the subtotals by using
Find and Select Go To special visible cells only then copy and
pasted this info to a new sheet. When I save these in the 97-2003 format
i got a message that said it was too many lines and would be truncated.
Since I only had about 15 rows of data on each sheet. Now when I do
control end the cursor goes to N65536. I know there is no data past
row 30. The file says it's over 6 megs in size and it should only be a
few hundred K at most. How can I trim this thing down so that I can
email it?

gls858
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

An untested thought: try using Paste Special | Values , if this is
appropriate to your needs
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"gls858" wrote in message

Excel 2007 I had three very large sheet 70,000 plus rows. I arranged and
subtotaled these as needed and then copied only the subtotals by using
Find and Select Go To special visible cells only then copy and pasted
this info to a new sheet. When I save these in the 97-2003 format
i got a message that said it was too many lines and would be truncated.
Since I only had about 15 rows of data on each sheet. Now when I do
control end the cursor goes to N65536. I know there is no data past
row 30. The file says it's over 6 megs in size and it should only be a few
hundred K at most. How can I trim this thing down so that I can email it?

gls858

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Bernard Liengme wrote:
An untested thought: try using Paste Special | Values , if this is
appropriate to your needs
best wishes

Bernard thanks for the reply. I cut and pasted values only to a new
workbook. Total size....32K. So it did work. But if I do a copy of
visible lines only on a subtotal sheet does that not get rid of the
underlying data?

It was like Excel still thought that all 70,000 lines
were still on the worksheet.

gls858
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Try this (sorry if some terms does not match the original English ones, I'm
translating them back from Hungarian):
Choose level 2 of subtotal display (click on 2 of 1 2 3 in the top left
corner of the sheet)! You see subtotal rows only.
Edit/Jump (CTRL+G)/Advanced selection (bottom left button)/Current area
Leave selection unchanged!
Edit/Jump (CTRL+G)/Advanced selection (bottom left button)/Visible cells only
Copy and paste!

Regards,
Stefi

€˛gls858€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Bernard Liengme wrote:
An untested thought: try using Paste Special | Values , if this is
appropriate to your needs
best wishes

Bernard thanks for the reply. I cut and pasted values only to a new
workbook. Total size....32K. So it did work. But if I do a copy of
visible lines only on a subtotal sheet does that not get rid of the
underlying data?

It was like Excel still thought that all 70,000 lines
were still on the worksheet.

gls858

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Stefi thats exactly what I did but when I deleted everything but
the new sheet with just the the subtotals that I copied to a new
worksheet the workbook still had a size of over 6 meg. Bernard's
solution worked.

gls858