Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default New... Can I even do this?

I work in an assessment office and I enter alot of tables that involve pin
numbers, property address, owner, owner address, as well as other
information. I would like to be able to 'freeze' the rows and be able to
sort by these different categories without the rows getting all messed up.
Can I even do this in excel? Is there a better program to work with?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Here are a couple options....

Before you sort....select the ENTIRE DATA range.
Then, when you sort on one or more columns, the associated data will move
with the sorted data.

OR....
you might be able to use an AutoFilter to hide the rows you don't want to see.

Select the data range
Then...From the Excel main menu:
<data<filter<autofilter
That will put little dropdown arrows on all of the colum headings.
Play with the criteria.

When you're done....
<data<filter<autofilter will turn off the autofilter

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"allycat1186" wrote:

I work in an assessment office and I enter alot of tables that involve pin
numbers, property address, owner, owner address, as well as other
information. I would like to be able to 'freeze' the rows and be able to
sort by these different categories without the rows getting all messed up.
Can I even do this in excel? Is there a better program to work with?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I'm glad you could work with that.....and thanks for the feedback!

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"allycat1186" wrote:

I work in an assessment office and I enter alot of tables that involve pin
numbers, property address, owner, owner address, as well as other
information. I would like to be able to 'freeze' the rows and be able to
sort by these different categories without the rows getting all messed up.
Can I even do this in excel? Is there a better program to work with?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jim Jim is offline

yes you can! have you tried using the auto filters?.. they can group cells
the have similar criteria... better yet the custom filters let you specify
criteria in cells that you want to see...

hope this helps!

take care
Jim