Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Saving the Macro for all workbooks

Hi,

I have a code which I have wrtitten seperately which now I to be accessible
by all workbooks, I have heard that there is a hidden file where we can save
this, but I am not able to find it, can anyone please guide me how to go
about it.
Pranay Shah
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Personal.xls.

Personal.xls is located in the XLStart directory, and is used to store
macros and
things that you want to be available to all workbooks, whenever you start
Excel.

By default, it is hidden in Excel, but if you go to the VBE, you use it as
you can
with any other open workbook (you don't have to unhide it).

You can create it by
- goto ToolsMacrosRecord New Macro...
- Choose Personal Macro Workbook form the dropdown
- OK
- click the Stop button on the toolbar that pops-up

You now have a Personal.xls workbook. It is not visible though, it is hidden
by default (WindowsUnhide)

--
HTH

Bob

"Pranay Shah" wrote in message

I have a code which I have wrtitten seperately which now I to be
accessible
by all workbooks, I have heard that there is a hidden file where we can
save
this, but I am not able to find it, can anyone please guide me how to go
about it.
Pranay Shah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the replying back. I was able to find the Personal.xls file and i
had added the code in the module also but when i tried to use it some other
workbook it didn't worked.

Can you please help me out how to go about it.
Pranay Shah

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you want to use a macro in another workbook, you need Application.Run

Application.Run "Personal.xls!test_macro"

.... with parameters

Application.Run "Personal.xls!test_macro", 4, 8

--

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

addy)

"Pranay Shah" wrote in message

I have a code which I have wrtitten seperately which now I to be
accessible
by all workbooks, I have heard that there is a hidden file where we can
save
this, but I am not able to find it, can anyone please guide me how to
go
about it.
Pranay Shah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Bob,

How do I use the Application.Run and where do i add this in my workbook?
Sorry, I new to this field so please bear with me. :)

Thanks.
Pranay Shah

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you're trying to use a function that you created and stored in personal.xls
in a cell in a worksheet, you'd use something like:

=personal.xls!yourfunctionnamehere(...)

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Pranay

Create an Add-in with your macros.

Then load the add-in through ToolsAdd-ins.

You won't have to use the Personal.xls! or Application.Run method

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP