Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
MR MR is offline

Default Copying Formula Problem

suddenly, my formulas will not copy properly in excell. They retain the
original cell amount - although display the proper line formula adjustment.
This is happening on all of my excell spreadsheets. Someone suggested
checking my cell format, which I have, and it is not text.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Most likely, you have Excel set for Manual Calculation. Does the word
"Calculate" appear in the Status Bar?

From the Excel main menu:
<tools<options<Calculation tab
CHECK: Automatic calculation.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"MR" wrote:

suddenly, my formulas will not copy properly in excell. They retain the
original cell amount - although display the proper line formula adjustment.
This is happening on all of my excell spreadsheets. Someone suggested
checking my cell format, which I have, and it is not text.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
MR MR is offline

That was it! thank you!

How did it change on all of my spreadsheets.......? It had to be done by
someone, right?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Most likely, you have Excel set for Manual Calculation. Does the word
"Calculate" appear in the Status Bar?

From the Excel main menu:

"MR" wrote:

suddenly, my formulas will not copy properly in excell. They retain the
original cell amount - although display the proper line formula adjustment.
This is happening on all of my excell spreadsheets. Someone suggested
checking my cell format, which I have, and it is not text.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I'm glad that fixed your issue....and thanks for the feedback!

In some circumstances, if you open a workbook that was saved with Manual
Calculation, then Excel adopts that setting. It may only occur on the first
workbook you open. (My memory is a bit fuzzy on the exact circumstances) The
red flag is "Calculate" in the Status Bar.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Most likely, you have Excel set for Manual Calculation. Does the word
"Calculate" appear in the Status Bar?

From the Excel main menu:

"MR" wrote:

suddenly, my formulas will not copy properly in excell. They retain the
original cell amount - although display the proper line formula adjustment.
This is happening on all of my excell spreadsheets. Someone suggested
checking my cell format, which I have, and it is not text.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

To add to Ron's information...........

Common problem......not yet fixed in 2007 version.

ToolsOptionsCalculation can be Auto or Manual.

Excel takes the Calculation mode each session from the settings on the first
workbook opened in that session.

i.e. If you saved Book1 with calc mode in manual and opened it first, calc
mode would be in Manual.

If you saved Book2 with calc mode in auto and opened it after Book1, Book2
would be in manual mode(Excel ignores the auto calc mode in this case).

If you close Book1 before opening Book2, Book2 will be in auto calc mode.

Confusing enough? <g

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Most likely, you have Excel set for Manual Calculation. Does the word
"Calculate" appear in the Status Bar?

From the Excel main menu: