Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Linking cells from differnet worksheets.......How?

Please bear with me here, I know and understnd very little about Excel. I
have gleaned and created a few work sheets, [time cards that I morph into
monthly statements for clinets, and monthly + annual gross statements for
myself], pretty simple stuff. I have done this by copying and pasting
formulas from templates downlaoded off the net. Sort of self eduacted if you
will.

So what I am missing, and after is a fromula, to link the monthly total from
a clients time sheet/statment to my monthly statement. Is there a
"hotlinking" formula, [or a template to copy it from], that I can paste into
the appropriate cell on my monthly statement, that links to a monthly total
from individual statemenets? If this is overly complex I can continue to do
it anually, just figured this program, when drinven properly could manage
it.........

Thanks in advance!
jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You can link to cells in other worksheets within a workbook and to cells in
sheets in other workbooks. When linking to cells outside of the current
Excel file (workbook). It is just a matter of the format of the formula in
the cell: links to cells in other sheets in the same workbook have the name
of the sheet in front of the cell address, while links into other .xls files
have the name of that file, the sheet name and the cell address.

Getting this to work is actually very easy and Excel takes a lot of the
effort out of it.

Linking to other sheets in the same workbook:
Start a formula in a cell by typing the = symbol then choose the other sheet
and click the cell in that sheet and press the [Enter] key. Done!

Linking to other workbooks is just as simple: open both workbooks (you can
even link to many others, not just one other). Again start a formula by
typing the = symbol and then choose the other workbook, sheet in it and cell
within that sheet and press the [Enter] key. Again, Done!

For most things the other workbooks don't even have to be open later. When
you close them, the link in your workbook is amended to include the complete
path to those external workbooks. There are some functions that don't work
unless both books are open, but for the needs you have described, that won't
affect you.

"jefferson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Mr Latham, DUDE!!

Thanks so much! This completely sets me up now! I figured this was possible
but had no idea it would be SO simple. You're making me look good! Thanks
again!