Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking Cells on different worksheets

Our workbook is used to track bonus hours for employees. Each week has a
different worksheet. What I want to know is if there is a formula that I can
put in the carryover cell (ex. H1 on Sheet 1) that will automatically put
that same number on the next sheet (ex. C1 on Sheet 2). I looked in the help
section of excel and it says to copy and paste and then click paste special
for linking cells, but for some reason when I copy and paste, the number
won't show up after I paste it and there is no paste special or link cells
option.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:46:01 -0700 from tcreller
:
Our workbook is used to track bonus hours for employees. Each week has a
different worksheet. What I want to know is if there is a formula that I can
put in the carryover cell (ex. H1 on Sheet 1) that will automatically put
that same number on the next sheet (ex. C1 on Sheet 2).

Are these workSHEETS in the same workBOOK? If so, then you want to
put this in C1 on Sheet 2:
='Sheet 1'!H1
The bang (!) separates sheet name and cell reference, and the single
quotes are needed if there are spaces in the sheet name.

I looked in the help
section of excel and it says to copy and paste and then click paste special
for linking cells, but for some reason when I copy and paste, the number
won't show up after I paste it and there is no paste special or link cells
option.

In C1 on Sheet 2, type an = sign but don't hit any other keys. With
your mouse, select Sheet 1 and then cell H1. Look at what happens in
the formula bar.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

can you copy and paste in the original sheet?
The sheet may be protected which keeps you from copying.
also there might be a macro which effectivley loses the copy information
when you change cells or work sheets
When you click off the cell you have just copied, do you still show the
dotted line around the cell.
if so, when you click on another sheet and back again, does it still show
the dotted line around the copied cell?

"tcreller" wrote:

Our workbook is used to track bonus hours for employees. Each week has a
different worksheet. What I want to know is if there is a formula that I can
put in the carryover cell (ex. H1 on Sheet 1) that will automatically put
that same number on the next sheet (ex. C1 on Sheet 2). I looked in the help
section of excel and it says to copy and paste and then click paste special
for linking cells, but for some reason when I copy and paste, the number
won't show up after I paste it and there is no paste special or link cells
option.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:30:01 -0700 from tcreller
:

"Stan Brown" wrote:

[...]

You're welcome. I'm glad it was helpful.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/