Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default new user makes alot of mistakes

I build a spreadsheet for radio schedules, I make mistakes when I enter
revisions.
Its hard to make a template for these schedules as the number columns and
number of rows varies from month to month. So if I change the position of one
thing or delete several groups of numbers, I forget to change them in other
places.
My guess is to build a template every month, but other than that, what can I
do to stop making mistakes!
thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Perhaps you should not worry so much with the month to month changes in
number of rows/columns. Design a "worst case" scenario template and use it
each month. Then instead of deleting unused rows/columns and messing up
formulas and results, HIDE them!

Without knowing what kind of mistakes you're making, it's hard to make other
recommendations. The use of named ranges (see Excel Help - search for the
phrase 'Define named cell references or ranges' for a beginning point) could
help you. Don't use absolute references (=$A$15) unless you have to, use
relative addressing (=A15) so that when rows/columns are inserted/deleted,
the address updates in dependent formulas.

If bad goes to worse, set up a document that details the types of changes
you usually make and what you have to alter to keep the workbook working
properly. Then read and follow your own instructions on making alterations
each month.