Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How to place a colored rectangle BEHIND some data cells?

I have various cells in use but I want a graduated colored background behind
all of them. If I use a colored rectangle, it covers them. Can I move the
rectangle to the back, so it only shows where no data cells are in use?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Don't think that's possible since it floats above the cells.

Perhaps an alternative way to get the visual that you're after (in xl2003):
Select and copy the cell(s). Hold down Shift key, click Edit paste
picture link. This creates a linked picture object that can be formatted with
graduated fills. Right click on the linked picture object Format picture
Colors and Lines tab. Under Fill Colors droplist, click Fill Effects, and
select to taste.
--
Max
Singapore
"Big Greg." wrote:
I have various cells in use but I want a graduated colored background behind
all of them. If I use a colored rectangle, it covers them. Can I move the
rectangle to the back, so it only shows where no data cells are in use?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Greg

Could conditional Formatting be enough? There is no graduated fills but you
can use colours and patterns.

To format C3:E7, select the range Choose FormatConditional Format. For
condition 1 choose Cell Formula is: and type =NOT(ISBLANK(C3)) in the dialog
box which fills used cells with the format you choose.

You can add a second condition to format blank cells in the range with:
=ISBLANK(C3)

Regards
Peter