Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default trying to help a friend

Hi, I've never used Microsoft excel. But, a friend of mine just took a job as
assistant manager. And she has been creating a day by day sales report and a
total monthly report using excel. The problem is all the format for dollar
signs and totals have disappeared. I'd like to be able to help her. But, I
don't know how to get the format right again. (I surely don't want to mess it
up further!) So, how do I begin to get the dollar signs back and get it to do
all the daily totals and totals for the month? Thank you for any and all
help. :0)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

If you select the range of cells containing the amounts, then choose
FormatCellsNumberCurrency you should get your Dollar signs back.

As far as daily totals and totals for the months are concerned, it
depends upon how this was done originally.
It may have been achieved with the Subtotal function.
In which case, mark the whole block of data including the headers, then
DataSubtotalselect at each change in Dayuse function Sum

If it was not done via this method, then placing the cursor in an empty
cell below each block of data and entering
=SUM(A1:A10)
changing the A1 and A10 to the actual references of the range of cells
you want to add.

Hope this helps a little.

--
Regards