Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default how do i protect a formula but not the whole page?

I want to protect the formula but not the whole page and all i seem to be
able to do is protect the page?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sarah, just lock the cells with the formula,

By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you
want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then
go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, and depending on want version
you are using if you only want them to select the unlocked cells remove the
tick mark under allow users to select locked cells, enter a password if you
want, now only the cells that you unlocked can be edited, be aware that this
protection is very easy to break, the code to do so can be found very easy,
but it will work for most people .

If you only need a few locked I would select them all first, Ctrl A, then
go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then select the cells
you want to lock and go to format cells and check locked, the go to tools,
protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now the cells
that you locked can not be edited
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"SARAH" wrote in message
I want to protect the formula but not the whole page and all i seem to be
able to do is protect the page?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sarah,

Another simple solution is to highlight the sheet, goto FORMAT in menu bar,
select CELLS, then click on PROTECTION, click on LOCKED, and then click HIDE.
Clicking on HIDE will hide all formulae on that sheet. Then click OK

you can then click on TOOLS, OPTIONS, then VIEW and in the top row click off
FORMULA BAR. This will remove the formula bar from the spread sheet.

I hope this is of help

Regards

Art Caragh