Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Ten to the power of six

WinXP, Excel 2007
I am unable to show this number in a cell. How do I do it?
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I'm not exactly sure what format you're wanting, so here's several.

If your wanting to display "10^6" exactly liek that, and you don't need it
for a calculation, try putting an apostrophe in front of it to tell Excel
that you want to display exactly as you write.

'10^6

If you need to use in calculation, try formatting the cell to scientific.
YOu can then set how many decimal places you want.

Hope this helps!

--
Best Regards,

Luke Moraga

"Corren" wrote:

WinXP, Excel 2007
I am unable to show this number in a cell. How do I do it?
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

why not type

=10^6

The result will be 1000000

Mike

"Corren" wrote:

WinXP, Excel 2007
I am unable to show this number in a cell. How do I do it?
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you. I should have been more explicit.
I need to show, ten to the power of 6 with the number six as
superscript. I was able to show 10³ but not the other one. It always
defaults to 106.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Corren,

Type '106' into the cell, then select the '6' and superscript it.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Corren" wrote in message oups.com...
Thank you. I should have been more explicit.
I need to show, ten to the power of 6 with the number six as
superscript. I was able to show 10³ but not the other one. It always
defaults to 106.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Format the cell as text
Type in 106
Select the 6 in the formulabar
format|Cells (and make the 6 superscript)

You could also prefix the entry with an apostrophe to make it text: '106

Corren wrote:

Thank you. I should have been more explicit.
I need to show, ten to the power of 6 with the number six as
superscript. I was able to show 10³ but not the other one. It always
defaults to 106.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

My problem is showing ten to the power of 6 or 12 as 10 with 6 as a
superscript, like in 10³.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Corren

Unfortunately 6 has no ascii code to show it as superscript as 2 and 3 have like
Alt + 0178 or 0179

You could use event code to superscript the numbers.

If Target.Column < 1 Then Exit Sub
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Target
If .Value < "" Then
.NumberFormat = "@"
.Characters(Start:=(Len(Target)), Length:=1).Font.Superscript = True
End If
End With

ErrHandler:
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

As written the code works only on column A.

This is event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code".

Copy/paste the above into that sheet module.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 13 Apr 2007 16:09:55 -0700, "Corren" wrote:

My problem is showing ten to the power of 6 or 12 as 10 with 6 as a
superscript, like in 10³.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Format the cell as text
Type in 106
Select the 6 in the formulabar
format|Cells (and make the 6 superscript)

You could also prefix the entry with an apostrophe to make it text: '106

Thanks Dave, this worked.