Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default using data from one sheet to another

Hi

I want to keep a running balance in a budget , month on month and I
understand that its not best to use an accumalator. I was advised to have
twelve separate tabs which is fine and I have copied the sheet to the next
tab but I don't know how to link cells from one sheet to another. Can anyone
help please, and yes I am an absolute beginner.

Thanks
--
Deb
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Assuming that by "a budget" you mean a checkbook type account where the
present balance is continually calculated down the page then try something
like:

=LOOKUP(2,1/Sheet1!H1:H1000,Sheet1!H1:H1000)

This will return the last number in Column H

Adjust the range to suit, (it can be bigger than you will ever use). You
can use the sheet name that you rename the sheets to but if the sheet name
has a space within it like, January 2007, then enclose the actual name in
single quotes: 'January 2007'

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"Debbie" wrote in message
Hi

I want to keep a running balance in a budget , month on month and I
understand that its not best to use an accumalator. I was advised to have
twelve separate tabs which is fine and I have copied the sheet to the next
tab but I don't know how to link cells from one sheet to another. Can
anyone
help please, and yes I am an absolute beginner.

Thanks
--
Deb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you form pointing that out Dave. I did not know that and with my bank
balance I should have noticed it before. A quick Google gave me:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999E+307,Sheet1!H:H)

or as seems to becoming more popular:

=LOOKUP(99^99,Sheet1!H:H)

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Unless that last number is 0.

"Debbie" wrote in message
Hi

I want to keep a running balance in a budget , month on month and I
understand that its not best to use an accumalator. I was advised to
have
twelve separate tabs which is fine and I have copied the sheet to the
next
tab but I don't know how to link cells from one sheet to another. Can
anyone
help please, and yes I am an absolute beginner.

Thanks
--
Deb

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The reason people use the first is that's as large a number as excel can store.

And the reason people use the second is that it's pretty large--larger than my
checkbook (except right after payday!).

"Debbie" wrote in message
Hi

I want to keep a running balance in a budget , month on month and I
understand that its not best to use an accumalator. I was advised to
have
twelve separate tabs which is fine and I have copied the sheet to the
next
tab but I don't know how to link cells from one sheet to another. Can
anyone
help please, and yes I am an absolute beginner.

Thanks
--
Deb

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
And the reason people use the second is that it's pretty large--larger
than my
checkbook (except right after payday!).

Wow! You just went up in my estimation Dave! <g