Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default surely it cannot be that difficult...

......can it!!

Column of cells
J12 to J42 inclusive.
Each cell has an amount of hours and minutes worked laid out like eg.
07:27 or 11:57

All I need to do is add the hours and minutes up!!! The answer is looking
me in the face, and I can not see it!

HELP....please :-)

Best regards

Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=sum(j12:j42)

give it a nice custom format of:
[hh]:mm:ss

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Dave.

Yep, I thought of that. Tried it out.....no joy. Works fine on a new
sheet!!
I think the problem maybe the formula already in the cells where the times
are.

My head really hurts now :-(

Cheers Bob

Bob Holdford wrote:

.....can it!!

Column of cells
J12 to J42 inclusive.
Each cell has an amount of hours and minutes worked laid out like eg.
07:27 or 11:57

All I need to do is add the hours and minutes up!!! The answer is
looking
me in the face, and I can not see it!

HELP....please :-)

Best regards

Bob

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

My guess is that the cells that look like times are really text (not numbers).

Try selectinging an empty cell
edit|copy
select the range with the times
edit|paste special|check add and values
(maybe re-apply a nice time format to that range)

Now look at the cell with =sum() in it.

Bob Holdford wrote:

.....can it!!

Column of cells
J12 to J42 inclusive.
Each cell has an amount of hours and minutes worked laid out like eg.
07:27 or 11:57

All I need to do is add the hours and minutes up!!! The answer is
looking
me in the face, and I can not see it!

HELP....please :-)

Best regards

Bob

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Nope!! Well, I am thick, but could not get that to work.

Format Cells, suggests 'Custom' & 'hh:mm'.

Possibly be much easier if I stopped thinking :-)

Bob Holdford wrote:

.....can it!!

Column of cells
J12 to J42 inclusive.
Each cell has an amount of hours and minutes worked laid out like eg.
07:27 or 11:57

All I need to do is add the hours and minutes up!!! The answer is
looking
me in the face, and I can not see it!

HELP....please :-)

Best regards

Bob

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If all you did was change the format, then that isn't enough to change the
values in the cell.

You may want to show a few examples of what's in that range (formulas and
values) and what the formula evaluated to.

Without more information, I'm out of guesses.