Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Holdford Bob Holdford is offline

Default surely it cannot be that difficult...

Nope!! Well, I am thick, but could not get that to work.

Format Cells, suggests 'Custom' & 'hh:mm'.

Possibly be much easier if I stopped thinking :-)

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
My guess is that the cells that look like times are really text (not
numbers).

Try selectinging an empty cell
edit|copy
select the range with the times
edit|paste special|check add and values
(maybe re-apply a nice time format to that range)

Now look at the cell with =sum() in it.

Bob Holdford wrote:

Thanks Dave.

Yep, I thought of that. Tried it out.....no joy. Works fine on a new
sheet!!
I think the problem maybe the formula already in the cells where the
times
are.

My head really hurts now :-(

Cheers Bob
"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
=sum(j12:j42)

give it a nice custom format of:
[hh]:mm:ss

Bob Holdford wrote:

.....can it!!

Column of cells
J12 to J42 inclusive.
Each cell has an amount of hours and minutes worked laid out like eg.
07:27 or 11:57

All I need to do is add the hours and minutes up!!! The answer is
looking
me in the face, and I can not see it!

HELP....please :-)

Best regards