Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default SumIf Function

I'm trying to use the SumIf Function (as I understand its use) and I keep
running into the same problems -- in many cases I have more than one
criterion for addind a specific cell. Is there a way to modify SumIf to
allow for multiple criteria? I try to do it in the insert function box and
it gets spit back out at me. Any ideas?

Jay
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Jay

look at SUMPRODUCT

Look at the Help and search the Archives for examples

Regards

Trevor

"jayceejay" wrote in message
I'm trying to use the SumIf Function (as I understand its use) and I keep
running into the same problems -- in many cases I have more than one
criterion for addind a specific cell. Is there a way to modify SumIf to
allow for multiple criteria? I try to do it in the insert function box
and
it gets spit back out at me. Any ideas?

Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=sumproduct((a2:a22="Jay")*(b2:b22=1))
to sum c based on that criteria

=sumproduct((a2:a22="Jay")*(b2:b22=1)*c2:c22)
note that the ranges must be the same size and not complete columns
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"jayceejay" wrote in message
I'm trying to use the SumIf Function (as I understand its use) and I keep
running into the same problems -- in many cases I have more than one
criterion for addind a specific cell. Is there a way to modify SumIf to
allow for multiple criteria? I try to do it in the insert function box
and
it gets spit back out at me. Any ideas?

Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

Then use
=sumproduct((a2:a22="Corporate")*(b2:b22="Zone4")* d2:d22)

a2:a22 will return True or False
b2:b22 will return True or False

The Multiplication will coerce the True's to 1's and the False's to 0's,
hence
1 x 0 x 100 =0
1 x 1 x 150=150
0 x 1 x 120 =0

Sumproduct then just sums the results of these array multiplication to
give your result

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"jayceejay" wrote in message
I'm trying to use the SumIf Function (as I understand its use) and
I keep
running into the same problems -- in many cases I have more than
one
criterion for addind a specific cell. Is there a way to modify
SumIf to
allow for multiple criteria? I try to do it in the insert function
box
and
it gets spit back out at me. Any ideas?

Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Had you thought about what I sent you should have been able to modify it
yourself.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"jayceejay" wrote in message
I'm trying to use the SumIf Function (as I understand its use) and
I keep
running into the same problems -- in many cases I have more than
one
criterion for addind a specific cell. Is there a way to modify
SumIf to
allow for multiple criteria? I try to do it in the insert function
box
and
it gets spit back out at me. Any ideas?

Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You know .......All it took was for someone to politely explain it to me.
I'm not used to thinking in terms of "adding" or "multiplying" TRUE and
FALSE. Thanks for your concern, Don.

"jayceejay" wrote in message
I'm trying to use the SumIf Function (as I understand its use) and
I keep
running into the same problems -- in many cases I have more than
one
criterion for addind a specific cell. Is there a way to modify
SumIf to
allow for multiple criteria? I try to do it in the insert function
box
and
it gets spit back out at me. Any ideas?

Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

And all I was saying is that you could have modified this to your need and
tried it.

====================================

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"jayceejay" wrote in message
I'm trying to use the SumIf Function (as I understand its use)
and
I keep
running into the same problems -- in many cases I have more than
one
criterion for addind a specific cell. Is there a way to modify
SumIf to
allow for multiple criteria? I try to do it in the insert
function
box
and
it gets spit back out at me. Any ideas?

Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

XL help files contain *nothing* about all the possibilities that this
function can perform.

Check out this link of Bob Philips for a truly enlightening explanation!<g

HTH,

RD