Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Database design

A little while ago (on one of these NewsGroups) there was a thread about
using Excel as a database and database design. I undertook to consolidate
my thoughts (which were over several posts) on an information sheet. I have
now done this and the first effort may now be seen at -

http://1001solutions.co.uk/Designing_a_spreadsheet.pdf

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel

This is quite good. One suggestion: while it's possible to use Excel as a
database, it is not really possible to have multiple concurrent users of the
database, and so Excel's ability to serve as a database (as the word is
generally understood) is rather limited. Given that caveat, looks good.

Dave

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote:

A little while ago (on one of these NewsGroups) there was a thread about
using Excel as a database and database design. I undertook to consolidate
my thoughts (which were over several posts) on an information sheet. I have
now done this and the first effort may now be seen at -

http://1001solutions.co.uk/Designing_a_spreadsheet.pdf

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel

Thanks for your response and encouragement Dave.

I do say "Of course not everything included here is applicable to each use".
In the scenario you highlight, most, if not all, the design 'features'
should be just as applicable. They would get you there it's just that Excel
is not the right bus for the journey. The piece is intended as a layman's
(sorry, laypersons) guide and most laymen (laypersons) would probably be
using Excel and would turn to Excel rather than Access in the first
instance.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote:

A little while ago (on one of these NewsGroups) there was a thread about
using Excel as a database and database design. I undertook to
consolidate
my thoughts (which were over several posts) on an information sheet. I
have
now done this and the first effort may now be seen at -

http://1001solutions.co.uk/Designing_a_spreadsheet.pdf

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel

Default Hint to posters

Dave F has written (on several occasions) "Specific, detailed questions are
more likely to be answered than questions that provide no detail about your
problem." I would like to add another hint.

It is sometimes best NOT to ask a closed question like "How do I use this
function?" This is like standing in the middle of a town and asking "Where
do I get the number 42 bus?" By doing so you've assumed that the number 42
bus is the only service between the two points. Asking an open question
like "How do I get the computer to do this?" lets others advise on other
(possibly better) routes to your destination.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel

I didn't know Excel would skin cats. How do you get it to do that, cuz I've
got one very annoyingly sitting in front of my keyboard right now, and it's
very hard to type!

Rob

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote:

Dave F has written (on several occasions) "Specific, detailed questions
are
more likely to be answered than questions that provide no detail about
your
problem." I would like to add another hint.

It is sometimes best NOT to ask a closed question like "How do I use this
function?" This is like standing in the middle of a town and asking
"Where
do I get the number 42 bus?" By doing so you've assumed that the number
42
bus is the only service between the two points. Asking an open question
like "How do I get the computer to do this?" lets others advise on other
(possibly better) routes to your destination.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel

Better that yours sits in front of the keyboard than to sit on the keyboard
like mine do.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel

I used to have one that would do that. She like the heat of the old laptop
I have, so she'd curl up on the keyboard while I was away at lunch and I'd
come back to find it beeping at her incessantly as she slept, and any number
of oddities on-screen.

Rob