Junior Member

Question Using Formulas

I am trying to use the VLOOKUP formula to automatically select the corresponding region when a state is selected. I have a State drop down in col D. And in col E I have the formula =VLOOKUP(D2,RegionMap,2,false). In the formula editor it shows the correct result, but the formula is displaying in the cell, not the result. How do I get the result to display?

Also, how do I copy this formula down my column and have the references adapt correctly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Using Formulas

The cell is probably formatted as text if yo see the formula rather
than the result. Select the cell and Format | Cells | Number (tab) and
then choose General and OK. Then double-click the formula bar as if to
edit the formula and then press Enter in order to activate the change
in format.

Your cell references will automatically adjust when you copy the
formula down - a quick way is to double-click the fill-handle. This is
the small black square in the bottom right corner of the cursor.

Hope this helps.

Pete

--
creachter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

In answer to your first question, there are 2 likely possibilities why the
formula is displaying instead of the result. Either the cell has been
formatted as text, or the View Formulas setting has been turned on.

If formatted as text, then select the cell, then choose "Cells" from the
FORMAT Menu. Change the number format to "General". Click OK. Now,
re-enter your formula (just hit F2 then Enter).

If the format isn't the problem, then goto TOOLS, then OPTIONS, then under
the View Tab, uncheck the box labeled "Formulas".

Now, as for your second question, I don't see any reason why the cell
reference in your formula wouldn't copy correctly. Since you're using the
Named Range "RegionMap", the only reference is to cell D2. If the formula is
entered into cell E2, then when copied down to E3, the reference should be to
D3. Is that not right?

HTH,
Elkar