Old February 10th 05, 04:49 AM
JB

Default need formula for percent off of column

I know nothing about this and I am in a pickle. I don't even know where to
type in the formula, so please spell it out for me in kindergarten language.
I need a formula that will figure a percentage off.

I have a column that is Retail Price and I need a formula that will auto
fill 15% off the retail price of each cell in the previous column.

I hope I am explaining this correctly.

Thanks,
JB

Old February 10th 05, 05:51 AM
Biff

Hi!

Assume your current retail price list is in the range
A1:A10.

In cell B1 enter this formula:

=A1-A1*.15

With cell B1 still selected use your mouse and point to
the little black square in the bottom right of the cursor.
The fat "+" sign will change to a skinny "+" sign. Left
click and hold then drag copy the formula down to A10.

Biff

.

Old February 10th 05, 05:51 AM
JE McGimpsey

Since 100% is equal to one, 15% off can be represented as 100%-15%, or
1-15%, so if your retail price is in column A:

B1: =A1 * (1-15%)

which is also equivalent to

B1: =A1 * 85%

You can copy that formula in B1 down as far as necessary.

Old February 10th 05, 07:55 AM
Gordon

JE McGimpsey wrote:
Since 100% is equal to one, 15% off can be represented as 100%-15%, or
1-15%, so if your retail price is in column A:

B1: =A1 * (1-15%)

S/be =A1 * (1-0.15)

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(9 days and counting!)
Old February 10th 05, 03:42 PM
JE McGimpsey

Works either way.

In article ,