Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Renaming cells tedious and error prone

From what I can tell from the help, there is no way to rename a cell
and have all of the references updated.

If I need to rename a cell, I have to delete the old name, add the new
name, then manually reapply the new name wherever I need it.

The logical method of simply typing a new name in the Name box only
serves to give the cell a second name, and only the first one
(alphabetically) will be shown.

Am I missing something? Is there some way to change a cell name from
AnnualPayment to AnnPmt and have all references updated automatically?

--
Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Visit JK Pieterse's site and download his Name Manager Add-in for great
flexibility in naming/renaming/manipulating range names.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 08:40:30 -0800, LurfysMa wrote:

From what I can tell from the help, there is no way to rename a cell
and have all of the references updated.

If I need to rename a cell, I have to delete the old name, add the new
name, then manually reapply the new name wherever I need it.

The logical method of simply typing a new name in the Name box only
serves to give the cell a second name, and only the first one
(alphabetically) will be shown.

Am I missing something? Is there some way to change a cell name from
AnnualPayment to AnnPmt and have all references updated automatically?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 09:21:41 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

Visit JK Pieterse's site and download his Name Manager Add-in for great
flexibility in naming/renaming/manipulating range names.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/

OK, thanks

I did figure out that I can use replace (Ctrl-H) to change the names
in the formulas, which helps some.

--
Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000