Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Basic IF function help needed

I'm using Excel 2002 for the first time and trying to place a function into a cell. I 'm using IF(N44=L, M44-L44, L44-M44) .
Which is supposed to mean If the letter L is in cell N44, then subtract number in L44 from number in M44. Otherwise subtract M44 from L44.

If have 2 main questions...First, how to get the result of the function to show. Right now I see the function typed out in the cell, but no result. Help files say use CNTL and + and accent grave. Unfortunately, my english keyboard has no accent grave, so I'm stumped right there. I haven't found another way to get the results to show.

Second...can I use the letter L in N44 to trigger this function, or does it have to be another number?

Any suggestions?

jc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

in O44 I pasted
=IF(N44="L", M44-L44, L44-M44)
L44 = 5
M44 = 10
if N44 = L answer in O44 = 5, if N44 anything besides L = -5
the " " around the text L are the secret.
Lou

"jbclem" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2002 for the first time and trying to place a function into a cell. I 'm using IF(N44=L, M44-L44, L44-M44) .
Which is supposed to mean If the letter L is in cell N44, then subtract number in L44 from number in M44. Otherwise subtract M44 from L44.

If have 2 main questions...First, how to get the result of the function to show. Right now I see the function typed out in the cell, but no result. Help files say use CNTL and + and accent grave. Unfortunately, my english keyboard has no accent grave, so I'm stumped right there. I haven't found another way to get the results to show.

Second...can I use the letter L in N44 to trigger this function, or does it have to be another number?

Any suggestions?

jc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

jbclem

The rest of the solution is the = sign before the If Statement.
=IF(N44="L", M44-L44, L44-M44)

Mike Rogers

"jbclem" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2002 for the first time and trying to place a function into a cell. I 'm using IF(N44=L, M44-L44, L44-M44) .
Which is supposed to mean If the letter L is in cell N44, then subtract number in L44 from number in M44. Otherwise subtract M44 from L44.

If have 2 main questions...First, how to get the result of the function to show. Right now I see the function typed out in the cell, but no result. Help files say use CNTL and + and accent grave. Unfortunately, my english keyboard has no accent grave, so I'm stumped right there. I haven't found another way to get the results to show.

Second...can I use the letter L in N44 to trigger this function, or does it have to be another number?

Any suggestions?

jc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The keyboard combination CTRL+` is used to DISPLAY formulas.
You do have accent grave: it is to the left of 1 on the top row of the 'typewriter' keys.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"jbclem" wrote in message ...
I'm using Excel 2002 for the first time and trying to place a function into a cell. I 'm using IF(N44=L, M44-L44, L44-M44) .
Which is supposed to mean If the letter L is in cell N44, then subtract number in L44 from number in M44. Otherwise subtract M44 from L44.

If have 2 main questions...First, how to get the result of the function to show. Right now I see the function typed out in the cell, but no result. Help files say use CNTL and + and accent grave. Unfortunately, my english keyboard has no accent grave, so I'm stumped right there. I haven't found another way to get the results to show.

Second...can I use the letter L in N44 to trigger this function, or does it have to be another number?

Any suggestions?

jc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You should place the L in the formula within double quotes to
indicate that it is text.

There are some laptops evidently that don't have a key to the left
of the number row. Only heard of it once. If that is the case see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm#laptops

I think the tendency in laptops now is wider and less height on the
monitor -- so they fit into laptop bags easier or to save manfacturing
costs. .

---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

"jbclem" wrote in message ...
I'm using Excel 2002 for the first time and trying to place a function into a cell. I 'm using IF(N44=L, M44-L44, L44-M44) .
Which is supposed to mean If the letter L is in cell N44, then subtract number in L44 from number in M44. Otherwise subtract M44
from L44.

If have 2 main questions...First, how to get the result of the function to show. Right now I see the function typed out in the
cell, but no result. Help files say use CNTL and + and accent grave. Unfortunately, my english keyboard has no accent grave, so
I'm stumped right there. I haven't found another way to get the results to show.

Second...can I use the letter L in N44 to trigger this function, or does it have to be another number?

Any suggestions?

jc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The "ctrl ~" alllows you to toggle between the value derived from a formula
and the formula itself. But the formula will show in the cell and not calc
if the cell is formated as "Text" before the formula is entered or it does
not have the "=" sign to tell excel that you want it to be a formula. Check
the basics first and don't "over think" the problem!

Mike Rogers

"jbclem" wrote in message ...
I'm using Excel 2002 for the first time and trying to place a function into a cell. I 'm using IF(N44=L, M44-L44, L44-M44) .
Which is supposed to mean If the letter L is in cell N44, then subtract number in L44 from number in M44. Otherwise subtract M44
from L44.

If have 2 main questions...First, how to get the result of the function to show. Right now I see the function typed out in the
cell, but no result. Help files say use CNTL and + and accent grave. Unfortunately, my english keyboard has no accent grave, so
I'm stumped right there. I haven't found another way to get the results to show.

Second...can I use the letter L in N44 to trigger this function, or does it have to be another number?

Any suggestions?

jc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Good catch and if "jbclem" is entering formulas
without the "=" by turning transition formula
entry on, there is sure are going to be in trouble with Excel.
But I imagine there are some who do that and teach others
to do that. ~ is a tildea (has a Shift), ` is accent grave

"Mike Rogers" ...
The "ctrl ~" alllows you to toggle between the value derived from a formula
and the formula itself. But the formula will show in the cell and not calc
if the cell is formated as "Text" before the formula is entered or it does
not have the "=" sign to tell excel that you want it to be a formula. Check
the basics first and don't "over think" the problem!

"jbclem" wrote
I'm using Excel 2002 for the first time and trying to place a function into a cell.
I 'm using IF(N44=L, M44-L44, L44-M44) .
Which is supposed to mean If the letter L is in cell N44, then subtract
number in L44 from number in M44. Otherwise subtract M44 from L44.

If have 2 main questions...First, how to get the result of the function to show.
Right now I see the function typed out in the cell, but no result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

David McRitchie

You are right.....it is amazing what some people teach and how some learn.
I need to remember that not everyone learned the way I did. As if my way is
the right way <g. Thanks David

Mike Rogers